_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Dragon Slide Mold and parting line
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:17 AM UTC
I got my first box of Dragon after reading the review here.

Dragon say that they are using the slide molded technology...Just curious, what is the advantage of this technology ?

I assemble the fuel drum and the parting line still can be seen. It also says that the parting line can be remove using modelling thinner..

Anyone out there try that ? I glue them and put more glue on the 2 joint parts and prime it but the parting line can still be seen :-(

What did I do wrong ?
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
The slide molding allows for extra details such as hollow MG barrels and snorkels. Also for things like detail on the bottoms of boots and such.

THe removal of seam lines with liquid cement refers to the R100 flexable plastic stuff some figures, cacti and tarps are molded from. I am not sure about the process, but brushing on the cement then rubbing it off seems to work so far for me. If there is a better way, the Dragon Way, I would like to know.

As for getting rid of seam lines on parts, using liquid cement can help. Brush it on both mating surfaces. Then press the parts together. A little bead of plastic should form between the two, if not pull the two pieces apart a bit and put a brush full of cement in there. After letting it dry, take a fresh #11 blade and scrape off the bead of plastic. And BAM! No seam line. If needed the only thing you might have to do is rescribe some panel lines.

:-)
Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 102 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:27 AM UTC
What kit did you buy? The slide mold technology isn't a 'new' development. Actually, it's been around for awhile, but only recently has it been used so much in their kits, like in the last year or so.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Almost every part you glue (like gun tubes, barrels cylinders) is going to show seam lines. Let glue dry and gently rub your hobby knife with a sharp blade along it. This will gently scrape material off to even the part joining area up and then there will be no more visible line. Sometimes if the joint is deep adding some Mr Surfacer will fill in gaps. If it is really bad, then a thin grain putty like Squadron's white or equivilent type.
 _GOTOTOP