_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Painting insignias or using the decals
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:38 AM UTC
I'm not sure what Yall do but I Paint on the insignia that is given unless it is to small but thats only because i'm not sure how to get the decals on correctly i've always had triouble doing this since i was 5 and started building models any thoughts ideas or questions?

P.S. I make 1/35th models and paint their decals almost exact but I can't strain my eyes too much longer or I'll lose my Marksmanship
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:01 AM UTC
Corey,
Decals can be tough. What I do is gloss coat the area where the decal is to go. Let it dry for a day. Follow the decal instructions for soaking. When the decal is ready to be set, wet the area where it goes with decal setting solution. Testors has one in the small square bottles or you can use something like Micro Set. When the decal is set to your satisfaction, blot it gently witha Qtip or Kleenex. After the decal dries, overcoat with a clear flat finish. If the decal is in an awkard place, it can be moved, while still wet, with a small, soft brush. If the decal has to conform to an uneven surface, after you have blotted it dry you can use something like Micro Sol to get the decal to settle down. DO NOT touch the decal if you have used a solution like Micro Sol. The decal WILL tear.The easist way to remember is "SET" to place the decal, and "SOL" for diSOLve, to get the decal to conform to an uneven surface. If the decal does not settle down after this. Let it dry completely and use a dilute solution of white glue and water. HTH
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC
I wish I had the eyes and hands needed to paint markings. Actually, I'll bet they look better than decals. You should post some pictures of your work.
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

use a dilute solution of white glue and water

What exactly does the water/glue solution do? Does it make the decal blend better with a dull surface, like on a tank?
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 06:22 PM UTC
I've also painted insignias on my models... Never learned to work properly with decals. I've heard about MicroSet and MicroSol but wasn't able to find it in any hobbyshop I visited...
So this is what I do: I outline the decals very lightly with a pointed pencil and just follow the lines with paint (usually with a pointed toothpick)... it worked very well so far for rather simple insignia.

Mario M.

HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:27 PM UTC
I must admit that the idea of painting on the insignias and that is inticing, but when you can't paint you can't...

But I have looked at Eduards painting masks, pretty intresting idea/concept I think.

No I struggle like the rest with decals, what would life be without MicroSet and MicroSol
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:55 PM UTC
Carey;
As far as I know the tips that Ron pointed is most eficient method to use, I do it (more or less ) and I would recommend it.
I got a Verlinden photoetch set for german WWII markings, but I didnīt get it a try yet....Iīm not so confident by now about ussing it
Cheers!
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...what would life be without MicroSet and MicroSol

What would life be like with those... I'm still waiting to find out..

Mario M.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...what would life be without MicroSet and MicroSol

What would life be like with those... I'm still waiting to find out..

Mario M.

Mario,

These two setting solutions are pretty good for difficult to work with decals - i.e. decals too thick to settle down over curves and details - or older decals that have lost their "bite" and the glue won't hold them down.

The decals for "Double Dare" on my M20 Armored Utility Car were really nice SuperScale Decals, but I had a difficult time getting them to settle down over the strengthening ribbing on the sheet metal of the M20 fender skirts. The decal solution allowed me to get them to adhere properly.

The National Insignia on my M8 Armored Car "Colbert" is a Verlinden dry-transfer. It is the most difficult application of a dry-transfer I've ever tried - and I won't do it again. You can work them around complex curves like the engine breather deck of the M8 / M20, but the exercise will make you want to pull your wisdom teeth out. Here, a decal softening solution with a suitable water-slide decal would have been less headache. Why did I go the other way? It's easy to get goaded into Advanced Modelers Syndrome. Instead of purchasing a replacement set of decals, I went insane and used VP dry-transfers. Lesson here is not to make things tougher on yourself.

Gunnie
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
Gunnie, great looking stuff... Lot of people use transfers with outstanding results. I think I will give it a go on my Warrior IFV... Hey does anybody know where can I get British insignia from Desert Storm? Archer has some good looking Union Jack flags and I thought about that too...

Mario M.

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What exactly does the water/glue solution do? Does it make the decal blend better with a dull surface, like on a tank?

KMM,
It is best to gloss coat the area where you will be placing a decal. Less chance of air being caught under the decal, this leads to "silvering", If you have a difficult decal that just won't behave, use the diluted white glue mix. I will hold the decal in place. Then dull coat over and continue your weathering process.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:16 AM UTC
Gentlemen----I first used the gloss, micro set method with the Emhar 1/35 Whippet tank. They have a red and white marking for the front slope. Looks like it was painted on the vehicle. Became an instant believer and practitioner. Now, what really has me curious is the method displayed in the Osprey book on WW II dioramas. In this book, they show several Churchill tanks attacking a German position in France. They then display various improvements done to the Tamiya models. The author sprayed national insignias and a red traingle inside a white circle with an airbrush. He used a contact paper to mask the surface (I think it was called "fiske or friske paper"). Now, the point here, how did he get the sticky paper off without damaging the base coat? Has anyone else seen the book? If so, have you tried the technique I crudely explained?
thanks
DJ
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:24 AM UTC
DJ - frisket paper is a low-tack medium. If you're careful not to leave it on the surface of your model too long (too long = overnight, an hour or even two is okay) it won't mar the finish underneath.

There are all brands available, I like the stuff I get from Art Stores, but Badger makes some good stuff too.

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
Gunnie--so much to buy, so little time. Have you seen the Osprey Book? Did you use their technique?
thanks
DJ
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:27 AM UTC
Gunnie,
I'm at a loss for words at your pics on here! I may be converting to allied armor after all! More pics matey!
Nice one!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie--so much to buy, so little time. Have you seen the Osprey Book? Did you use their technique?
thanks
DJ

No Sir - I haven't seen that Osprey release. Do you think it's worth getting?

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie,
I'm at a loss for words at your pics on here! I may be converting to allied armor after all! More pics matey!
Nice one!

Thanks Marek! :-) I already told Paulo that I'd have to do something different before I got to 1000 posts - I went out and bought the OUTSTANDING AFV Club Sd.Kfz.11 3-ton Half-track. You guys are getting me interested in German WW II Armor - no small feat let me tell you!

Gunnie
alphasniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 83 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:01 AM UTC
Gentalmen
Thanks for the "insight" you've probalbly kept me from losing mine. Those are excelent pics. Gunnie!! Now I'm off to count my pennies and go to the hobby store to get MicroSol and finally put my decals to use
Thanks again

pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now I'm off to count my pennies and go to the hobby store to get MicroSol and finally put my decals to use

Corey, just remember DO NOT attempt to move the decal after using MicroSol. It WILL tear.
Also, the MicroSol will make the decal wrinkle up, this is usual. The decal will flatten and conform as it dries.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
O.K. guys, was hanging around the thread where Gunnie was showing the pics of the incredible interior of his Stuart tank. Everyone was goo-goo about, as they should have been. BUT! Is it just me, or did you guys see, really see, the interior work on his M20 in the above pics? The top pic especially....unbelievable.
I just recently bought a Tamiya M20 with plans to really super detail it. You know, the whole enchilada. But instead, I think I'm just going to throw it in the garbage! May as well!

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K. guys, was hanging around the thread where Gunnie was showing the pics of the incredible interior of his Stuart tank. Everyone was goo-goo about, as they should have been. BUT! Is it just me, or did you guys see, really see, the interior work on his M20 in the above pics? The top pic especially....unbelievable.
I just recently bought a Tamiya M20 with plans to really super detail it. You know, the whole enchilada. But instead, I think I'm just going to throw it in the garbage! May as well!

Tread.

Naw Tread - don't do that :-) Tamiya's M20 is so cool - go buy another!!!

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP