Hosted by Matt Leese
The Better airbrush
supersniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hey guys once again im in need of help. Which is better the paasch H or the Badger single action airbrush (forgot the name). cause im still lokking around for the right one? What compressor is most compatible for both of them e.g. paasch/ badger specialty compressor or a plain compressor from like wal-mart.

just one more thing do you use acrylics or enamles. ive been useing enamales for a while with a part thinner but it can be tough to clean out of the airbrush and containers.
#:-)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 09:47 AM UTC
Here is the set-up I use. I swear by my Pasche H model air brush. I use a 5 gallon air pig I got from Wal-Mart that is billed as a portable air supply to refil tires. I think it cost me $25 ( I put this all toghether about 12 years ago). I have a Sears Craftsman 1.5 HP compressor that is rated up 1o 120 psi (bought it 15 years ago for $100 and still going strong). I have a pressure gauge on the air tank outlet. The tank and compressor are connected using standard air tool quick connects. I had to change a few of the fittings on the tank since it was set up with tire valve hose and inlet. Not too difficult, I found all the fittings I needed at the local hardware store. I usually fill the tank to about 30-40 psi for normal base coat (single color)painting and between 20-30 psi for detail and camo job painting. When the air runs lower than that, I simply switch the compressor back on to fill the tank back up. I run a Pasche H model air brush off of it. It works great and I am very happy with the results. Hope this helps out in your set-up.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
This is like asking what is your favourite football team. No two answers will be the same! I personally cant answer on the airbrushes but the compressor you choose will probably be governed by your cashflow status. I suppose a wal-mart with suitable tank, pressure guage and water trap will do the trick, but Ive seen one of those expensive silent types recently and I was watering at the mouth.
Enamels V acrylics. Both have their advantages. Enamels dont cure as quick as acrylics and I think should be easier to clean out and you can afford to spray for longer without cleaning! I use humbrol enamels mixed with their own brand thinner and have had no problems, and have also used tamiya acrylics thinned with alcohol and was happy with the results. I prefer the humbrols because I have more experience withem, I have a wider choice of colours and most importantly I can wash direct on the cured finish. No need for clear coat. I use humbrol thinner for washes as well!
supersniper
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
yeah, i like how enamales go on and how they look, i have been useing testors and modelmaster paints for a while and with the proper thinner but it is still a little bit more difficult to clean. with the airbrush i have now. for the cashflow part, im only 16 and havent really got a job yet sooooooo, yeah. bu i ve been modeling for about 4 or 5 years and still lokking for that perfect set up and still would like to hear all of our opinions on the subject i really really appreciate it.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
I have two airbrushes. One is the Aztec dual action and the second one is my favorite, the Iwata. The best airbrush for the money!
 _GOTOTOP