TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
A Bridge Too Far
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 451 Posts
KitMaker Network: 158 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:25 AM UTC
I'm sure that this movie has been commented on many times over on forum, if not... i don't know why not because from what i saw, it's awesome!

it was on last night, and i started watching it late- maybe an hour into it, and missed the last 45 minutes because i didnt want to stay awake until 1:45, but I was glued while it was on! i even caught myself sitting paralized with model in hand ( i am building my Mitchell for Bomb's Away) and mouth open a number of times!
I must watch the movie in it's entirety... i hope it is one of those that will play multiple times this week. If I have to wait too long to see it, I think i'll have to break down and get the dvd!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:36 AM UTC
Awesome movie. You need to catch it beginning to end to see the plan and how the battle follows the plan
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 06:40 AM UTC
Get the DVD, it's worth every penny ( or even cent...).
I watch my video version regularly, and the DVD has the added bonus of being able to freeze the frames better, to marvel at the Leopards and other assorted modern vehicles cleverly maskerading as Panthers and 251's etc.. .
Seriuosly, it's an investment you won't regret.

Cheers
Henk ( on his way to the video cabinet... :-) )
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Well I didn't want to reveal that if she hadn't made that connection yet
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
That is probably one of the best and historical movies ever made I read it cost $35 million to make This was very expensive considering it was made in 1977 Buying a video or DVD is worth it
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
I must say, its a good plot, etc. But swedish tunics, east german boots and spanish helmets are some things that definatly piss a reenactor off!!!
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:06 AM UTC
I think they did a good job distilling the book by Cornelius Ryan and a very complex operation/battle into something understandable. I think a few more maps would have helped the average viewer -- of course I think that about most all war movies.

I could have done without the James Caan, not-dead-Commander part, but the rest was good.

Inaccurate equipment & uniforms, I tend to ignore now -- my wife got real tired of me yelling at movies about inaccuracies in that regard. Now I look at the story line vs history & ignore the details.

John
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
It was my understanding that the movie production emptied every costume house in Europe and they still didn't have enough for the movie. They had to sew many of their own uniforms too so I'm not surprised that there are many non-authentic uniforms floating around.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2006 - 09:30 PM UTC
What always amazes me about Bridge Too Far, BTF, is how they supposedly took Sherman's off monuments, put in fluids and such, and were able to drive them for the film. That might be a "urban myth" but I like it.

This, along with The Longest Day, are two very good movies made from books. Are they perfect, no, but they give lay people a pretty good idea of what was going on, how it looked, and how men, and women, behaved.

I've watchd my DVD more times than I can remember when nothing else was on the tube while I was working on a model. Several times I've put the model down just so I could concentrate more on the flick.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC
Next to the uniforms you can also spot some HVSS Shermans and Leopard tanks in the movie but what the hell. The story is great
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 12:33 AM UTC
I bought this movie on DVD a couple weeks ago. I think I paid like 6.99 CDN for it at Music World.

I had read the book so I really enjoyed the movie version too.

The only actor I didn't really like was Elliot Gould. he just bugged me somehow.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 10:51 PM UTC
I went to the flicks to watch this when it first came out with a couple of mates. All through the film I had to explain to them what was going on because they couldn't follow it! They weren't history buffs, so that's not a criticsm, just a comment on how historically accurate it attempts to be! On the down side, some historical characters were amalgamated in with others to keep it simple (eg Harzer & Harmel were hashed into "General Ludwig", & Kurt Students lines are given to Bittrich), & some of the 9thSS recce vehicles are distinctly dodgy, but on the whole it was a pretty good attempt - shows what Battle of the Bulge could have been if they'd made the slightest effort! It was one of the first war films that I remember that depicted Waffen SS men with anything approaching realism. You'll notice that the Guards Armoured units have a mish-mash of Shermans of various models, but then how many usable Shermans were around in 1977? I agree the James Caan episode went on too long & didn't move the narative along. There is also virtually no mention of the vicious fighting to keep "Hells Highway" clear, but the film is pretty long as is.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2006 - 11:03 PM UTC
This has been said a number of times, but I'll say it as well. Buy a copy for yourself. If you should have surround sound or at least a way to hook up a set of stereo speakers to you machine, do so. The artillery barrage by 30 Corps sounds great!...um...so to speak.

Excellent movie, one of my top picks.