_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Weathering powders
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
Does anyone have tips on using weathering powders? I got a set of mmp weathering powders by mail but im not to sure what brushes to use to apply them and how to apply them dry.

I found a few tips on the internet but hoped you guys could give me some tips.

Frank
blazer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hey
Go to this site, i think its pretty helpful

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:25 AM UTC
Thanks Sangwoo, thats one of the sites i found but i cant figure out hor to have the powders stick to the surface as well and i have a dullcoat on...

Frank
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Combine the powders with alcohol (or water) this will help them stick. There are several methods and someone more knowledgeable hopefully will speak up I'm sure.

1. wet the surface with alcohol, dip your brush in alcohol and then dip it in the powder and apply.

2. mix powder and alcohol, wet surface, apply mixture then apply more alcohol to the area to get desired effect.

I am basically repeating methods i have seen mentioned in the past. Check the painting tracks thread in the paint forum there are suggestions in there (for applying powder to more than just tracks)

Martyn
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 06:10 PM UTC
I use pastels, ground down and apply them dry with a soft brush. A large(ish) soft bristled brush is nessecary, a no. 2 or 000 is useless. It's like applying make-up, dab the brush into the powder, and dab it on your cheeks... uhmm I mean model... :-) . Make-up brushes are great for applying powders ( well, that's what the are designed for...) and can be had cheap at any shop that sells Make-up. Oh, by the way, just ask for a brush, and let them think it's for applying make-up. Trying to explain that it's for " applying powder to my models, ".. only makes them roll their eyes.
Seriously, start with dabbing it on and than with very light brushing motion blend it in to your desired effect. apply in very licht coats. I apply mine dry for a dusty effect, and wet for a caked, crusty mud/dust effect. The wet method is particularly effective when weathering tracks, as the goey mess will get nicely stuck in the nooks and crannies, and with the excess brushed off it looks great.

Cheers
Henk
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's like applying make-up, dab the brush into the powder, and dab it on your cheeks... uhmm I mean model...

Maybe il have my mother weather my tank instead :-)

Henk, how sof does hte brush have to be? as soft as possible, i bought a tamiya N.3 flat brush to do hte job but it feels like it's to soft.

Btw, if got two make up brushes my mother gave me and they worked better.

Cheers,
Frank
 _GOTOTOP