_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
To Glue Or Not To Glue
RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 746 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:28 AM UTC
I shall begin with MAGIC TRACKS

Right now my question do you glue these tracks? if so when and were?
I am building the Dragon Tiger 1 Late and am not quite ready to add tracks but i started messing with them last night and my god did i get the hump. so please help, any info on these tracks would be great.

redleg
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 01:44 AM UTC
use tenax 7r. Not a glue but a welder, it will melt and weld the plastic leaving it manuable until fully dry so you can form then on the sprocket and idler and around the wheel's

I suggest you attack them a bit at a time, building around the sprocket, and then construct the track going on hte wheel, then on hte idler and back to hte sprocket, kinda like a looop, once finsihed you can paint the looped tracks seperatly and attach without any problems after.

Don't judge the tiger lol, its under some pre-shading and it waiting for the proper colors to be bought... in build projects are never nice for me lol

Frank
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
How in the world are you going to paint the lower hull sides and the inner roadwheels with the tracks in place?? That's one of the things I don't get about plastic, non-workable indy links - how to handle the painting issue.
Part-timer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 361 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:03 AM UTC
How in the world are you going to paint the lower hull sides and the inner roadwheels with the tracks in place?? That's one of the things I don't get about plastic, non-workable indy links - how to handle the painting issue.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

as you can see in the second pic the tracks come of very easily. the tracks on sprocket will be taken off, they are only tacked by a small amount of glue to make sure i had the proper lengh of track.When you want a weak joint you can use white glue.

Also there is enought place between the hull and road wheels to slip my airbrush in to paint everything so paint coverage won't be a hasle.

Frank

KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC
There was a thread a while ago on how to assemble the Tiger tracks in sections, which is very useful, I've printed it out for when I do mine...
as for painting the tracks, I used to paint the tracks separately before attaching them (I mainly use the rubber band style) But I've switched to painting them when they're on the tank. I paint the roadwheels first, attach them, and then put the tracks and paint around the wheels. Since all of my vehicles go into dios, I don't need to paint the underside of the tracks, just the areas that would be seen by the naked eye.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 04:26 AM UTC
I did mine ten or fifteen links at a time for the straight runs.. Did the curved bits all at once.. I used testors liquid cement between the guide horns.. Then just let them sit and dry.. Then joined the mini runs into longer ones..

Dave
 _GOTOTOP