Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Anyone Know Russian?
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
How would you write "Red Star" in long hand not cyrillic ?

Red is "Krazny" ..right?
Triple_M
entire network: 15 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:10 AM UTC
I'm learning russian in a non-curricular course in college, level 1 (A1 by EU standard) since mid-october. Still in the very basics, but enough to help you:

Krasny zvezda

da svidanya, steven
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
Thank you Mario!
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Mario's "translation" is pretty good, but it should be:

Krasnaya zvezda

By the way Steven, you're right - red is krasny, but it changes when you use it with different genders - here, zvezda is feminine, so krasny changes to krasnaya.
Triple_M
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 08:20 PM UTC
It turned out that my Russian isn't enough to help you yet... And nothing compares to a native speaker!
I'm sorry for the mistake, Steven...
I haven't studied the adjectives yet but I had the obligation to beware of that issue, for in portuguese we must match the adjective with the noun's gender too...
I just hope you didn't paint that or something before Paul came to save the day... I wouldn't forgive myself
It's my second time giving erroneous advice in the armorama forums... One of these days I'll manage to get banned... :-)

So Paul, if you please, is there a different form of krasny as an adjective for a neutral noun?
(Now that I found you out, get ready to be constantly bugged by me... :-)

By the way, there is a ucranian community in my town growing by the day! I'm thinking of creating a local portuguese-slavic friendship association.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thanks to you both Paul and Mario! OK so, I'll use the feminine version.

And Mario, no I hadn't painted it on anything. I was going to title a photo of an R7-Sputnik rocket I built with it..... So, don't go into exile just yet. :-)

Although...since it is a rocket...don't they use the male designation for objects like that... like the way they do for ships? Paul?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Steve
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I haven't studied the adjectives yet but I had the obligation to beware of that issue, for in portuguese we must match the adjective with the noun's gender too...
It's my second time giving erroneous advice in the armorama forums... One of these days I'll manage to get banned... :-)

So Paul, if you please, is there a different form of krasny as an adjective for a neutral noun?

Nye znayoo...
Just wait until you start learning the instrumental case.
Triple_M
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:13 AM UTC
Another russian student? Fabulous

Maybe the instrumental case won't be the hardest part because I've studied latin for 3 years also, and I'm used to declension synthax. At least it was a huge help in German.
Anyway, are there web resources for russian learners you'd recomend to me?

Steve, I'm quite relieved!
I'll try to redeem myself by asking my russian teacher if she knows how the CCCP rockets were named. Next class she'll get some homework to do too
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe the instrumental case won't be the hardest part because I've studied latin for 3 years also, and I'm used to declension synthax.

We need a 'baffeled' smiley....

:-)

Sorry for the interuption, normal service can be resumed..
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and I'm used to declension synthax. ]

You could probably get a cream from the chemists for that :-) .
Andy (++)
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(Now that I found you out, get ready to be constantly bugged by me... :-)

By the way, there is a ucranian community in my town growing by the day! I'm thinking of creating a local portuguese-slavic friendship association.

By neutral noun I presume you are talking about "it" ? If so, the form would be krasnoe

Here are the forms for most cases:

He: krasny (for example - krasny tank, in russian, unlike english, tank is masculine just like animals are not referred to as "it", but rather "he", or "she")

She: krasnaya

It: kransnoe

We/They: krasnie

Quoted Text

Although...since it is a rocket...don't they use the male designation for objects like that... like the way they do for ships? Paul?

Steve, as far as I know, Soviet/Russian ships are named after famous male figures, generals, etc. Rockets and space crafts (and armor) on the other hand are named after various things:

For example, Sputnik (masculine) simply means sattelite, Soyuz (masculine) means Union, and Proton (masculine) means... well proton. So I guess they are named after various political/social things as well as scientific things, no matter what the gender is. The word rocket is feminine in Russian and the word shuttle is masculine.

Something that might also be interesting to you is that most modern Soviet artillery is named after flowers

Ex: Gvozdika (feminine) means carnation in English, and most flowers in Russian are feminine words.

Hope this makes it a little clearer. If there is anything you guys are wondering about, don't hesitate to ask me, I'll be glad to help. I've been away from modeling lately because of my damn airbrush. So if you can't find me in the forums, just email me and I'll reply.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 07:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Something that might also be interesting to you is that most modern Soviet artillery is named after flowers

Ex: Gvozdika (feminine) means carnation in English, and most flowers in Russian are feminine words.

Fascinating! I would have never of guessed!

Thanks for the enlightenment for the day!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:15 AM UTC
Krasnaya zvezda!

This thing almost caused me to give up paper models. This version was the third attempt. Fuzzy photographs, no instructions to speak of. It's 1/96th scale. I have a Vostok to do as well.

Thanks Paul for all the translation help!

Steve
Paul
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 01:38 PM UTC
You do paper models? very cool! Paper modeling was always an eastern european thing, mainly polish and chech that's why I'm excited when I see modelers from other countries doing it. I've done a few myself, it takes more patience than plastic models in my opinion, especially with models that were done in the 70s without computers. I've been doing a paper/plastic GAZ-69 in 1/16 on and off and it's very frustrating to see that the side of the vehicle is a centimeter longer than the floor...
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Yes, I do build paper models, though this has been a recent undertaking. For now, I've been building mostly space subjects. I plan to use them in a exhibit on manned space flight in our library. I have around 80 to build by April. Thus far, I have 70 left to build I agree, I think it does take more patience (this one really taxed it) than building plastic models, I also think that it has improved my scratch building skills immensely. I've discovered several techniques that I can carry over to the plastic side. Currently, I 'm working on a 1/48th Titan/Gemini, a 1/24th Mercury, and 1/32nd Hermes, and have in the wings, 1/96th Saturn V, 1/96th Soviet N1, and a 1/96th Vostok. All this with my commitments here, at home, and work. As of late, I rarely get to bed before 3AM.

I have also discovered, like most things, the more I build them, the easier they seem to get and the better they look when finished. Although, I have a small fortune tied up in X-acto blades at the moment :-)

Thanks for everything!
Steve