_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Lightening OD Paint
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 03:51 AM UTC
Silly question time everyone.. Im thinking of lightening some OD paint.. Is yellow the colour to use? Im almost sure Ive seen it here at some point..Thanks

Dave
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

You can try yellow, or try adding a touch of white to the OD, or a slightly lighter shade of the OD. With so many paints available, there has to be some which will give you the needed range to preshade.

Experiment on the bottom of the tank, nobody will see it..... (you should see the bottom of my finished pieces, they tend to look like avant-garde paint ball targets!

Frank
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:59 AM UTC
I added some khaki color to it, and wasnt dissapointed with the results
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Dave,
(you should see the bottom of my finished pieces, they tend to look like avant-garde paint ball targets!

Frank

:-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the advice guys.. I do have some lifecolour acrylic weathered OD.. But I dont like the way it sprays..Every so often, it spits a little blob of paint out.. Really rather frustrating..

Dave
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 05:41 AM UTC
Dave,

I wish you would of said you use Lifecolour paints earlier, I'm sure I'll get beat up over this, but I would reconsider the choice of paints. This stuff has the consistency of porridge,.... not the best of paints! Do yourself a huge favour, and switch over to Tamiya, Gunze or Polly Scale, anything is better than that tobacco spit. Nobody I know (shy of you) uses the stuff...for a good reason.

Frank
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 07:39 AM UTC
Well thats good to know. I was going to give Lifecolour a try.

Think I will just stick with the tried and tested stuff.

Dave,

I used Dark Yellow to lighten some OD. Seemed to work pretty good.

Quoted Text

Experiment on the bottom of the tank, nobody will see it..... (you should see the bottom of my finished pieces, they tend to look like avant-garde paint ball targets!

Glad I am not the only one to do this!
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 09:22 AM UTC
I use flesh to lighten OD and OG. I use Revell enamels.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im thinking of lightening some OD paint.. Is yellow the colour to use? Im almost sure Ive seen it here at some point..

WW II US OD is a combination of yellow ochre and black and not a blue and yellow, like most most greens. Because of this, if you lighten mostly with yellow, your tone stays green. If you lighten mostly with white, yuor tone tends to go grey instead. Depending upon what I look am going for I use both, but generally do my main lightening with yellow ochre (panzer yellow, usually) with a bit of white to grey the tone for scale effect or to simulate a bright sunlit environment.

HTH

Paul
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,

I wish you would of said you use Lifecolour paints earlier, I'm sure I'll get beat up over this, but I would reconsider the choice of paints. This stuff has the consistency of porridge,.... not the best of paints! Do yourself a huge favour, and switch over to Tamiya, Gunze or Polly Scale, anything is better than that tobacco spit. Nobody I know (shy of you) uses the stuff...for a good reason.

Frank

Not to worry Frank, I switched to Tamyia some time ago.. You are right about the porridge thing.. Unfortunate because they really had some decent colours..

dave
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 03:35 AM UTC
I use a color from Polly Scale called 'aged white' that works very well as a lightening agent for most colors. It tends toward the warm side.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP