_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Stripping Chrome/Brass plate....
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:29 PM UTC
I'm sure I've done this before but can't remember do I use bleach? or? to strip chrome/brass plate off plastic
Thanks in advance
Joker
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:53 PM UTC
I have used oven cleaning spray. Put the parts to plastic bag or a small freezing container and spray the parts with the cleaner. Close the container and wait for the plating to come off. After about an hour or so the coat should come with rinsing and careful brushing with a toothbrush. I only needed brushing to remove the plating from the deepest crevises, otherwise the plating came right off.
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 02:27 AM UTC
Thank-you sir!
Cheers
Joker
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC
You can also use straight ammonia, put your chrome parts in a plastic container, pour in the ammonia till it covers the parts, cover and wait.

Only thing is, you have to becarful not to inhale the fumes, as they can be hard on your lungs....I am assuming the oven cleaner is the same thing, most likely the ammonia in the oven cleaner.

The only real difference is that you can reuse your ammonia. I have a bottle that I just use for stripping chrome, and I just pour the used ammonia back in the bottle.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
I find the easiest why of stripping chrome from plastic is to use Simply Green or Castrol’s Super Clean. Both products can be found at just about any auto supply shop, around $4-5 dollars a gallon. It’s safe to handle, non-toxic and has a minty smell. Just soak it till the plating come off and being it’s a soap product as well, jus wash under some warm water. You may need to use a small stiff brush to get into the nooks and crannies. Another good thing about using this product is that it’ll remove just about all types of paint, and even no matter how long the paints been on, it’ll remove it. The stuff is great.
 _GOTOTOP