_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Paint stripping
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hey lads
Well as the topic title suggests, I plan to go back to square 1 with a Sherman... Now I've heard of oven cleaner spray as being able to be used, but wondered if that was applicable to Aussie brands... Does anyone have a brand they can recommend before I get the brake fluid out?!?
Cheers
Brad
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:37 PM UTC
I use Mr Muscle availiable from most shops and have no trouble with it.

Cheers
Cliff
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 05:02 PM UTC
Brad

I use Koala Degreaser which I found at Supercheap Auto. It is lye based so you need to use gloves.

what I do is put 4 litres in a plastic toy box and immerse the model. Leave sit for about 1 hour and then remove. Most of the paint just falls off and any stubborn areas can be given a gentle scrub with an OLD toothbrush.

This has worked on Tamiya acrylics and enamels as well as Humbrol enamels. I found that the MM Acryls were very stubborn with this and required a lot of scrubbing.

It has no effect on the plastic - even clear parts, and does not effect plastic glued joints. It does eat out PVC (white) glue so canopies will fall off. I don't know what effect it has on CA glue - so PE parts may come loose.

When it is all done I decant the degreaser from the container back into its bottle - just leaving the paint sludge to be tossed and about 90% of the degreaser clean and waiting for its next use.

Brian
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 06:13 PM UTC
Thanks a bunch here! Running outta money to keep buying new kits to correct mistakes :-)
Brad
1AR
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Mr Muscle availiable from most shops and have no trouble with it.

Cheers
Cliff

I have heard this works very well. I how ever use strong caustic soda. Dont get it in your eyes.
Good Luck
StgGazman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 02:19 PM UTC
Hi ya boys,

I've been using dishwashing powder in water for years and it works a treat.

Just put some in a bucket with warm water and let the model sit in it over night and it pretty much washes off under the tap. A toothbrush will get rid of the stubborn bits. It's probably a bit safer than some of the others....

As, Degreaser is usually made of turps, which you will then need to wash in soapy water to get off.

And Mr Muscle is coustic soda. Which burns your lungs and skin on contact...........

But you use what you will..... But if you go with the coustic have plenty of beer to wash it down with......
Gaz
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 10:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been using dishwashing powder in water for years and it works a treat.

Is this the powder form for dishwashers? Sounds like a good option...
Thanks
Brad
StgGazman
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC
Hey Brad,

Yes, the powdered variety works the best, even the old plain brand work but the Name expensive brands work faster.
If you leave them in too long sometime the tools will come off as it eats away the glue, if originally you painted the tools and put them on after the main paintwork that is....but that can be a good thing for repainting.

Another way is build a diorama of a winter scene useing Baking soda as the snow in the southern states.....then move to Darwin or Cairns and watch the baking soda desolve and strip the paint off! Trust me!!!
 _GOTOTOP