_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Plastering
Crusader111
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hey i have made some walls out of a meat tray on some polystring and need to plaster it but the details i have carved in to the meat tray are fine(not carved in deep) and i am worried that the details will be lost when i put the plaster on. Does anyone have a solution? I dont have all that much plaster to experiment but some ( thinning it out) and im far from town so i cant buy it easily. So if anyone knows a good ratio for thinning or have any ideas let me know. And i would prefer to keep the details"fine". Any comments will be appreciated.
Cheers
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:12 AM UTC
When I do my buildings I use pink foam insulation. Basically it's the same thing but thicker than your meat trays. I usually only make the openings in the foam (windows, doors, shell holes, collapsed walls, etc.) All the details are carved into the plaster.
Crusader111
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 10:17 AM UTC
Alrite ill think bout doing that.
Cheers
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:43 PM UTC
You can also use vinyl spackle for 'plaster'.Thin it down to suit your taste,brush or knife it on.Don't like it?Wash it off with water and try again.Very forgiving stuff
cheers!
Crusader111
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC
Can you just get that at hardware stores.
Cheers
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 02:18 AM UTC
Yep.A 1qt. tub is about 4 bucks at Ace hardware.You can color it with acrylics or W&N water mixable oils too,so if it chips it won't be a stark white spot.I use it for groundcover on dio bases to texture on cast turrets to filling seams on figures.
cheers!
Crusader111
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC
Alright i think ill do that then. Thanks for all the help guys.
Cheers
Removed by original poster on 01/28/10 - 15:52:52 (GMT).
trabanino
Visit this Community
Guatemala
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 26 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi, first of all, iīfrom Guatemala, so i donot know exactly what you mean with the plaster. i Make a lot of experiments wiht differents materials so my resaults are: you can use the powder of the chalk, is very easy to use, cheap and is very liquid, and gives you a nice detail, is easy to put in the dio base but very easy to break too.

Have you ever seen the powder that sells in the hardware stores for install the floor, here we call "porcelana" or "morerto" is a mix of cement and i dont know what else, but is cheap, you can give it the thcker you want, and dry in about 30minutes, when it dryes itīs hard, so does not break easly.

Other material is the patch it sells for walls in the hardwares stores, but to me is not the best, be cause isnīt cheap and it is a little dificult to work with.

So iīll show you the next time an example of waht i achieve with the maerials i told.
Bye.
 _GOTOTOP