Hosted by Matt Leese
Which liquid cement applicator?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 10:44 PM UTC
How do you apply cement? By brush? By the needle applicator that comes along with it? Which is better between the two? What are the different advantages one has over the other?
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:30 AM UTC
Hi GIBeregovoy,
I have both types. I use the thin needle in small hard to reach areas, and use the brush type most. I also have the Testors clear plastic cement that I use on canopies and other clear parts. I also use the clear cement to fill in gaps. After the glue dries for a few days I just sand the heck out if it and so far have had no problems with it.

HTH
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:09 AM UTC
For large areas, (two road wheel halves, e.g.) I'll use the brush applicator . For most other applications, I use a pen from a yard sale drafting set. The amount of glue you pick up is adjusted by a set screw and you then draw a line along the seam.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:30 PM UTC
I have used the syringes, touch n flows, and pens. I usually end up going back to a very fine brush. I have two brushes that I keep with me when building. a 1/0 for bigger parts, and a small 8-0 for precise stuff. I only use the brushes for cement, not paint. Both are sable too. they have as good a point, and are as accurate as my paintbrushes. I tried an off brand synthetic once, but it must have had styrene bristles, because the first time I used, it, I welded it to the firewall of a '32 Ford! I like brushes for the accuracy, and control.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 05:08 PM UTC
I like how Ambroid's proweld works on plastic. But as mentioned above for anything small or where youcant get in behind the pieces the large brush is trouble. for this I have a bottle of tamiya glue whos applicator is afine point brush. yocan make your own probably but I'd be carful as to what material you leave siitting in that bottle. I also keepo around an ssortment of othere glues includin the old tube stuff. I have found different things work best at different times and on different materials. so I guess my answer is I prefer brushing but settle for what ever works .

Josh Weingarten Aka shiryon

Josh
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 11:06 AM UTC
Hi Guys. This is something that I have picked up on only recently. I understand from the previous entries that only sable brushes are good for this.
Do you leave the brush sitting in the glue? Ds it harden if you leave it laying around for periods of 5 minutes or more? how do you clean the brush? And loads of more questions like this ????
I recently bought a bottle of testors with an internal brush but it is quite big. I wanted it for roughing up the texture on sand cast hulls etc. But I never thought on using a brush for small parts. This sounds a great idea and I would like to know more about this. Any helpers? Thanks in advance for any help given. Cheers!!
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:37 PM UTC
I use a sable brush, and I usually use Tenax 7R. This is a solvent cement, and totally evaporates, so the brush does not get gummed up. I just keep the brush in a holder on my workbench. (Alligator clip secured to my lamp frame with duct tape) and I open my cement, and dip the brush only when I need to use it. The brush stays soft, and after a few sessions, I dip it in clean paint thinner, and gie it a bit of a washing out. I don't know if this is necessary or not though. I usually don't use the adhesives that have anything sticky mixed in them, although lately I have been using Testors in the black plastic bottle, for gluing on little bits and pieces. I imagine most of these glues would gum up a brush pretty quickly. I use toothpicks for those types of glues, or a fine piece of wire. (Guitar string about .009, or .010) I play, and build guitars, so I always have little bits of E strings laying around.

_GOTOTOP