Hosted by Matt Leese
Air Tank Vs. Air Compressor
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:57 PM UTC
I know this topic has been discussed before but I would like to know why people like an air tank compared to a compressor.
I'm new to modelling and decided to go with what I thought was the cheaper route. I got a 10gal air tank and the appropriate regulator/water trap with fittings. Total cost was about $100cdn. I'm spraying acrylic's at 15-20psi and I can only get about 2 good nights of spraying done before I'm too low and need to refill. Then I got to lug the tank and find a place to fill it ie.gas station. I've found alot of pumps won't fill to a reasonable 100psi or higher.
I've finally found a C&H FP2003 air compressor for $180cdn. It seems that everyone on the board seems to recommend this compressor.
I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're just starting out airbrushing, don't try and save money by going the air tank way. You need a constant source of air to practice spraying and not worry about running out of air on your first model(like I did! :-) ) Oh well lesson learned! I think I may give in and buy the C&H compressor. What do you guys think?
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Guess i have to beg to differ here... I use a tank but also have a small tire compressor that I use to fill it up right in my garage... I can pump that puppy to about 120psi, and that will give me about 30-40 minutes of spray time in peace and quiet. Just go out and buy yourself a cheap compressor at home depot to fill the tank up... then in 15 minutes, you have two nights of quiet painting... with a compressor, you have two nights of NOISE while you paint...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC
The only reason I use a 20 lb CO2 cylinder is because My Father had it laying around (unused) in the garage.

Matt
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC
KFMagee, how quickly can those tire compressor's fill up your tank?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:36 AM UTC
I understand the money saving route. This is where I would splerge and get a compressor/tank combo. Search the forums for links. The quiet and and realiability are so nice. With mine I have a regulator on it so it stays at a constant pressure.
I totally understand the money issue and if all you get is a compressor that's fine and a really positive thing to do. As you get more money look to upgrade to a compressor/tank combo.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC
ZIpperhead

I bought years ago a compressor for my AB at a byciclestore it`s small, cheap a little noisy but perfect for the spraying job. I never ever used the gascans but I`m very satisfied with the Compressor.
When I bought the compressor I bought a goldfilter (to get all the dust and skin thingies that float through the air out of it) and a pressure controller and I had a complete airbrush set for under 100 Euro That will be the same in dollars (I`m not sure about the canadian dollar)
The set that I`m using now is still the same set I purchased a couple of years ago and it is still a quite good set. It`s a small investment but if you thread it well (good cleaning) It`s usefull for the rest of your life.

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 02:50 AM UTC
Well for myself....I have a 5lb airtank, with a regulator set to about 12-15lbs...depending on what I am spraying. When it was empty, I used to have to go to some of the little Mom and Pop gas stations that have real compressors , and not these "BIG" company gas stations that only fill to about 40lbs for car and truck tires. However recently my father borrowed the tank to work on his 4 wheeler, and somehow managed to loose my regulator.....

However in the meantime, he since purchased a PorterCable aircompressor and air nailer combo kit....the compressor is pretty noisy when it is running.....but I was only going to use this to fill my air tank.....but now that my regulator is no where to be found....I may just have to appropriate my father's compressor!!!!!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hubby bought a compressor for use in the garage, but (he he he) I snagged it and STILL have it in my workbench. He uses it when he needs it, but I use it more and have it the most. The compresser sure beat the heck out of the arosal cans.....
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 11:34 AM UTC
Well I decided I'm going to take a look at getting a less expensive tire compressor that can fill up the tank in a reasonable time, hopefully I'll find one.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 02:26 PM UTC
Yeah, they are much cheaper than "hobby" compressors, I found one in walmart for $10, it's cheap and probably won't last forever, but for ten bucks, I can buy eight of them for what a good compressor starts at.

Rob
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 08:09 AM UTC
Zipperhead - my compressor puts 120lbs into my tank in about 10-15 minutes... Then I'm good for quite a while.... i bought my compressor at Home Depot. It is sold as a small handheld portable meant for airing up tires. A Great deal, and quite reliable. Also will push up to 160psi so it can really fill my tank.
 _GOTOTOP