_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
apply snow on surfaces
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
hey

im making a smallish diorama and its in snow.i was just wondering does it pay to put the models on the base forst then apply the snow and how do you make a muddy road.

cheers
matt
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 03:02 PM UTC
Depends on the situation, Matt.
Is the tank on a snowy terrain but presently it is NOT snowing?
Is the tank parked whilst it IS snowing?
Is the tank moving whilst it IS snowing?
These can all affect the terrain around it.
For example, a parked Tiger in a snowy region, but it is not currently snowing would have a churned muddy road with no snow in its track marks, and no snow on the Tiger itself.
Give us more of what your idea will be about, and we can apply more knowledge
Cheers
Brad
USMarine
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
the tank is moving and ive got another one parked up on the side of a bank and a couple of figures standing round whats the difference between when its snowing and when its not.

cheers
matt
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:42 PM UTC
I use Durham’s water putty for my terrain - work just like plaster. You can also use Epoxy putty, Celluclay, plaster, etc.

1. I sketch out my layout on the base.
2. Make sure you seal or varnish the base - this keeps the terrain from curling at the edges or separating (splitting) from the base. I always drill lots of small holes in the base 1-1.5 inches apart (1/8-3/8 deep using a 1/4 drill bit.) This gives the terrain material something to adhere to and seems to eliminate the separating problem.
3. If I have any special features, drains, creek bed, road embankment, stone walls, etc., I first lay this out in Styrofoam or wood to attain the needed elevation of depth.
4. Pouring the Durham’s I spread out my basic terrain shapes.
5. While it is till wet I sprinkle on a DRY mixture of Durham’s, and real dirt (I get “dirt” right from the street gutter, there seems to always be a perfect mixture of fine sand, dirt and small pebbles waiting for me… my wife suggested I sweep the street gutters more often, but I digress)
6. Once I have my final “dirt” in, I will add the “snow” – There are lots of “snows” out there including Baking Soda, Dry Plaster, Mirco-snow (model railroad stuff) and more. I have used Sweet N’ Low – artificial sweetener – for over 20 years applied over white glue or #M Spray adhesive. It is a chemical, not a sugar, so it will not yellow or attract bugs or critters. And it has a crystal like quality that I have not found in other products. NOTE:You will find in modeling and in life, there are lots of “EXPERTS” who have the only answers on what is the BEST product or method and the reason why everyone else is wrong. As for me I use what works best for me. So you choose what works best of you.
7. Now the amount of snow depends on what you are trying to portray.
a. Snow bank – Heavy snow: I might eliminate step 5 above, layer in Styrofoam apply the white glue and sprinkle on the “snow” direction. In this case I would cut in the track or wheel areas and the holes for my figures to “step” in. Remember few men ar light enough (w/o snow shoes) to stand on top of the snow. We break though and leave trails or footprints/holes.
b. Wind driven snow: I look to where the wind would blow the snow – against walls, rocks, barrels or what ever obstruction there might be. Once I lays a base coat of my snow I then apply additional layers in the corners or against he obstruction. (Did a picket type fence once and nearly forgot to add little piles of snow on the windward sign – my wife caught it – by best fan and critic –always have some one you trust look your work over or Step away when you are done and then come back 15-30 minutes later and use a mirror to look at it. It give you a new perspective and helps you to see flaws or errors better)
c. A Light snow I complete my terrain and then apply a wash of white glue and water (50/50) and powder the scene with “snow”
d. Experiment - you will have to decide what looks right for you. Only you know what scene you are trying to replicate.
8. Most “snow” products you do not paint. Since I use SweetN’Low , which has an opaque or translucent quality, I do not paint. If I want to add shadow area I tend first paint differ shades of blue them apply the snow on top. This has given me deeper shadow and has worked well in the past.

Sorry. Kind of lengthy, but I hope it made sense and is helpful at some level.

Good luck! We are all looking forward to seeing your project in process and finished.

Neill

Here are some examples

USMarine
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:38 AM UTC
hey Neill is that instrutions for the muddy road
 _GOTOTOP