_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
FV 432 scratchbuild
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Got banned by SWMBO from doing my 432 over Christmas 'cos it was "Family time".

They've now gone home to Scotland to visit our rellies. So let's get buildin'.

I remade the parts of the drivers hatch and totaly rebuilt the commanders hatch as the 'scopes were too big and the hatch itself was too small:

The old

And the new:

Added the door on the rear:

And realised that it's all wrong! The hight is too short by about a CENTIMETRE!

Ergo:

I'll redo the back today. I'm incredibly slow at this. The first rule I learned was "measure many, cut once". I measure many and still get it wrong!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 06:52 PM UTC

Hi Murdo............you sure it was a ...."cm"
Still ---if you're not happy then thats what counts.........if it had ben a.... "mm"..then it would not have been noticed ....been there often ...but I dont worry about that :-) Remember if it looks right its probably right and if it looks odd(to you) then its odd Yep---measure twice --cut--once
It was looking ok to me .........so "hack on".......and dont try cutting after a "few drams"
I have also been "on-strike"...but started again
"LANG MAE YER LUM REEK".....and have a grand happy and prosperous NEW YEAR
And too all out there
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely. A good help to me since I was envisioning what it would take to scratchbuild a hull.

Good luck with those little torsion bar knuckles. And I'm jealous since I haven't any time for modelling this whole holiday season. Relatives.

Paul
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck with those little torsion bar knuckles.
Paul

Hi Paul,

I haven't a clue what they look like. I was basicaly going to just cut some sprue to what I would expect (and vaguely remember) the torsion bar to look like, glue them in place and hope they looked alright. :-)

I'm having enough difficulty gluing two flat bits together, the round stuff is really going to be fun.

I have very little experience building model kits (about 15 of them), far less scratchbuilding. My build may not be a very good example to follow. :-)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC
Hi Steve (BARV),

I'd appreciate some advice. Does this look correct for how the Torsion bars and shock absorbers go together?

Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:15 PM UTC
FOr the shocks, yes, that looks about right to me. I'm not an FV-432 expert, but looks about what I would think they would look like. Very simular to the shock mounts on my Bradley."Q"
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC

Murdo...hope this helps

will be off for a bit ---got flu
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:13 PM UTC
Thanks guys,

While I've managed to collect a couple of hundred reference pics from the internet not one of them has a wheel off so I can see what is behind it.

I thought the bar was somehow torsioned inside the hull. Then while I was looking at a picture one day it showed a spring as well, I wondered what the big angled spring was for and suddenly TADA!!!... It must be a shock absorber! DOH! Of course it is. What else would it be in that position. It will also give huge stability and added strength to the torsion bars on the model.

Sometime I hope to take some pics myself of a 432. I now see the point of "walkarounds". I still haven't found a picture anywhere of the top of a 432 (apart from the drawing you sent me from the book, thanks Barv). I have about 200 front, side and back pics but the vehicle seems to be incredibly coy about having its top photographed.

"Edit" - Thanks for the pics Steve, I was going to use sprue for the bars but you show them as being flat so I'll use thick, flat Plastistruct card instead.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:21 PM UTC
Murdo,

This might help if you haven't seen these already:
http://www.arm-soft.com/fv432.htm

Have you tried contacting the guy that runs http://www.fv432.com. He helped me out with a shot of the rear lights.

From what I've seen so far, your attempt looks good compared to the FV432 PEAK turret that I built.

Paul
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
entire network: 1,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And realised that it's all wrong! The hight is too short by about a CENTIMETRE!

He He. I know that feeling, Murdo. I think it is the evil curse of schratch building...

Cheers
Erik
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
MAN! Absolutely romped along today!

Got the back door partly done, got the exhaust partly done and redid the chassis.

Even had time to go to my LHS and an art shop for a bit or three.

Still can't believe all this took six hours and how many parts got chucked in the scrap pile! The exhaust on the wagon is attempt number three. The door is about the same number of attempts. I can't believe how cack handed I am.

Ah well, practice makes perfect.

Btw, thanks Paul, finally got a pic of the commanders hatch from the top and I was right... It is round, not oval. I might have to redo the commanders cupola. It might do though.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

I'll redo the back today. I'm incredibly slow at this. The first rule I learned was "measure many, cut once". I measure many and still get it wrong!

LOL another one who is the same as me and still gets it wrong after measureing a few times.

Mate that is excellent work. While modern stuff is not my area of interest it is good to see good workmanship and also see you are also willing to admit doing it wrong and having to fix it.

cheers
Cliff
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mate that is excellent work. While modern stuff is not my area of interest it is good to see good workmanship and also see you are also willing to admit doing it wrong and having to fix it.

cheers
Cliff

Admit doing it wrong?.. This is what I had reduced it to by this morning. I was getting just a little fed up.

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Derek,

Thanks mate, these are great.
That beastie has fairly been through the wars.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Wow! Looking good. You surely know your stuff.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
Man, this is sloooww stuff!

The latest:

Not really happy with the the louvre vents so I added more bars and did it in a lovely squint pattern... Hmm... DPM? Added the grab handles etc.

Added more detail to the Commanders cupola and Drivers hatch, started the detail on the Roof hatch, and did the front engine access hatch.

Quote from SWMBO... "Yes, very nice dear but I'm afraid I just can't relate to a white tank"!
Bud1
Visit this Community
Wexford, Ireland
entire network: 73 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Great job Murdo, it's taking shape very nicely. I'm working on my first scratchbuild too and it's a very slow process when you not only have to make all the parts but work out how to make them, sometimes several times. Keep at it because it's worth it when you spray the first coat of paint, the white plastic disappears and you have a model!

Rich
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job Murdo, it's taking shape very nicely. I'm working on my first scratchbuild too and it's a very slow process when you not only have to make all the parts but work out how to make them, sometimes several times. Keep at it because it's worth it when you spray the first coat of paint, the white plastic disappears and you have a model!

Rich

I've lost the odd part from a model before...

BUT! There's nothing like spending half an hour looking at photos', planning and measuring the part, then 15 minutes boring a hole in a tiny little bit of plastic, shaping it with sandpaper and getting it exactly right and then, as I put it on the model hearing the little click as the tweezer jaws snap together and the thing vanishes into the ether!!!

So, ... I do it again and 15 minutes later... "Click"!

I think I'm going nuts.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 04:57 AM UTC

Stop "wingeing an whining"---get the lead out :-)
You make this sound like a life sentence---not the great fun that it is :-)
You should be ready to paint by now -----all the wheels should be on ---(oops ---- --not sent them yet ) ...immaterial ...they could have been made any way
Spending tooo much time gryping .......you would think it was MY fault
Even though it looks OK ----there is still room to do better (not a lot mind ) but a wee tickle here and a wee tweak there will not go amiss
" Apprentices "!!!!!- ---can't get dedication from these young whippersnappers these days:( ....want every thing to fal in their laps )
Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

ps........ssssssssh!!! Its great ............sssssssh!!!!!!! Dont let ---"D V"---hear this!!!!!
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stop "wingeing an whining"---get the lead out :-)
You make this sound like a life sentence---not the great fun that it is :-)
You should be ready to paint by now -----all the wheels should be on ---(oops ---- --not sent them yet ) ...immaterial ...they could have been made any way
Spending tooo much time gryping .......you would think it was MY fault
Even though it looks OK ----there is still room to do better (not a lot mind ) but a wee tickle here and a wee tweak there will not go amiss
" Apprentices "!!!!!- ---can't get dedication from these young whippersnappers these days:( ....want every thing to fal in their laps )
Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!!
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

ps........ssssssssh!!! Its great ............sssssssh!!!!!!! Dont let ---"D V"---hear this!!!!!

Yup, it's all the "tickling and tweaking" that's causing all the "clicking"... Grumpy auld git!

"Get the lead out"... Hmm, hadn't thought of using lead... Been near any church roofs lately, mate?

Take it the "flu" is over then? Sheesh! Temps drop below 20 deg and the REME wimp out with a cold!

:-) :-) :-)

Nice to hear yer subtle, dulcet tones again, auld yin!
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:53 PM UTC
Remember, this is supposed to be fun, if one part seems to be putting a little strain on you, it's time for a break, The one thing the best model builders don't say is, how many times they had to make a certain part over, and over again, for one reason, or another.

You just see the finished model, so you think they had no trouble at all, but everybody has problems, cause everything is different, unless they are making the exact same thing, over, and over again, then they would have every thing down pat. They just don't dwell on their problems, cause they are having fun, and spend that time building, and not telling others about the hard times.
 _GOTOTOP