Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Said goodbye to my Mum this morning....(long)
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC
Why I feel as though I should write this I'm not sure, as technically you're all strangers (save one) but I feel I can share this with you.
I have shared your triumphs and defeats, your victories and tragedies and except for Jim I have no idea who you are, yet I'm compelled to share this with my Armourama family. I apologize in advance if this gets too long.
My Mum passed on this morning and I will miss her tremendously, after all its all her fault I'm addicted to this wonderful hobby/craft/artform.
When I was a young guy we would have whats called a "professional day" where we would get the day off school the teachers would have meetings (so they told us). I used to look forward to these days becuase I got to be with Mum, just the two of us.
She would take me food shopping ,(she could mentally add the price of the groceries in her head and her sum was always within a buck of the till total, still blows me away) she would take me to the butchers, the fishstore, the Japanese markets where the freshest produce was always in, she just knew where to go.
She always saved a little money for me so she could buy me a treat to celebrate our day. One day she bought me a Tamiya model kit, my first. She bought me the Pzkfw III with the officers included for a whole $20.00 dollars
I remember she told me not to tell Dad and not to build it in one afternoon, I have been hooked ever since..
When I was about 13 or 14 she came back from a trip from Toronto and she brought back with her a kit that came from France, a soldier on horseback. The kit was from Historex.
I really didn't know what to make of it as I had never seen anything with so much detail and not only that, the directions where in French!
Oddly enough I had been failing French and keen to get started on my little man ( General D'Haupaul, General de Cuirassiers) I started translating the French and learned to speak it, my French improved and I ended up getting a B, clever woman she was.
I needed to write this and tell you about his amazing woman that was my Mum, these are just small things compared to the love and friendship she gave to others. I will miss her everyday.
Once again please forgive me if I ran on too much, but I miss her already.
Thanks and take care

Peter Hickey
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
Dear Pete,
I feel for your loss, and please except my condolences and prayers. It’s always hard to loss someone so close, but its memories that help to heal. I read what you wrote about your mother, she sounds like a lovely woman who supported you in the hobby and shared in so much love.

God Bless,
Joe
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
My sincerest condolences to you and your family.
My Mum is dead many years Peter, and there are still many days I wish I could pick up the phone an call her.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC
My condolances Pete, to you and your family...

Dave
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
Peter

Sorry to hear about your Mum.She sounds like she had alot to do with starting off a great modeller.My hat is off to her and her memory.

Jim
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
Peter

I am sorry for you and your family's loss
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
entire network: 5,653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC
Mes sincères condoléances Peter, à vous et à toute votre famille...

Jean-Luc
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
Pete:

My deepest condolences from my family to yours. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:33 AM UTC
Peter, I send you my deepest sympathies. You have some wonderful memories to keep your Mum close to you.
Al
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:49 AM UTC
Sorry to hear Peter and my deepest sympathies..cherish the memories, for she sounds like she was a wonderful person
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:38 AM UTC
Peter,

I am sorry to hear about your mother. You were blessed with a lady who knew what you were interested in and fostered that interest by taking the time to thoughtfully buy you kits that challenged you in many ways.

Darryl
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
Last September 18th was the tenth anniversary of my Mother's death. It seems like yesterday. My thougths and prayers are with you and your family.

At Mother's funeral, I took a white dove with ribbons from one of her flower arrangements, and every Christmas it is the last ornament that we put on the tree. So all these years later, she is still with us at Christmas.

Patrick
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thank -you all for all your kind words at this time, as Mum would say " This too will pass"
Pete
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:16 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing peter, i've got something worrying me tremendously and your story made me forget about my problem for a moment.

my condoliances peter, it's not easy to loose a loved one.

Sincerly,
Francois
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Peter, Sorry to hear about the loss of your mother, my deepest condolences!
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
Peter,

I am very sorry to hear about your mother passing. While I am fortunate to still have my parents alive I know that one day I will have to face what you are going through and I dread it.

My wife lost her dad 4 years ago so I have some knowledge of how you must feel. She misses him terribly but has wonderful stories about him much like you have just shared.

Thank you for sharing your story about your mum. As someone who is going to be a first time Dad next month its stories like these that inspire me to be involved in my childrens lives.

Jeff

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
I am so sorry for your loss, Pete.I lost my mom a long,long time ago and I still think ofher often.
God bless.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
pete i'm sorry to hear about your mom's passing... my heartiest conodolonces to yrself and your family...
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
My sincere condolences to you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss.

Your mum may not be with us in this world but she is still living in your mind and others, some kind of parallel universe for all of us.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss Peter, Mum's are precious and I know that when mine goes I'll miss her like crazy.
My first model was bought by my mum when I was seven and bored in the school holidays.

I'll send you my sincere condolences and keep you in my thoughts.
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
Truely a wonderful story. Your Mother sounds to have been a remarkable person. I am sure she will live on in the many memories of folks whose lives she touched. My deepest regards to you and your family.
Sincerely,
Charles
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:48 PM UTC
Really sorry to hear about your mother mate, losing loved ones is never easy, especially when your so close to them.
entire network: 4,303 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:16 PM UTC
My condolences. I'm sorry for your loss. I could not stand the thought I have to say goodbye to one of my my parents one day...
I'm sure God has a special place for such mothers in heaven!

Paul
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:40 PM UTC
Its Day One, so to speak and world and I have just read all your sincere comments, thank-you for your thoughts and wishes.
Thank-you for your kindeness
Peter
EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:51 PM UTC
Peter, I'm sorry. Just yesterday I said goodbye to my father's brother. My dad's been gone for few years now and I was holding on dearly to my uncles as a father figure. Its hard my friend, yesterday when the US Air Force played Taps at his funeral there wasn't a dry eye to be seen. The only thing that I can tell you is to maintain the good memories. There'll be days when you go somewhere that you've been before with her and I swear to you, that you can almost feel her presense there with you. Its a good feeling if you embrace it. I know that my father resides outside of the Oldest Candy Store in the US, in Salem Ma. When ever I go there I can still see how happy he was stepping into that door and smelling all the sweets. As I get closer to the door I just feel him with me, and, as a result I would buy something that I know that he would like. Jellied Fruit Slices... with each bite I feel all warm and cozy. When I'm at a restaraunt, if there's strawberry short cake on the menu, I get it, I smile, feel warm and enjoy it in his name. My father is gone, but he will never be forgotten. Seek comfort in your memories Peter and trust me, you'll get through this.

You are loved as a result of you sharing your pains and memories with us Peter and you will from this day on be apart of my extended family. Its not always easy to share your experiences but you'll find out the more that you do the more you'll find that never be alone Peter. There's good that can come from this world, and it doesn't always have to be within your inner circle. I hope that I don't offend in the method that I relate, but I've died once already on the operating table and have had only 8 hours to live on another instance. If anything came out of still being alive, it was not being afraid to embrace others and let them know that they're not alone. On January 12th they're going in and doing biopcies through-out my internals to confirm or deny that I'm dealing with cancer or not. I'm 45, life can be short Peter so make memories.

Bless you and yours,
John Boilard