Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:09 AM UTC
Here is a reply I received from good old Hannants about an order and the outlandish shipping charges.

REPLY:
Dear Dave

Your order was sent on the 23rd December by
Airmail and on the 20th December the
authorisation on your credit card was done for
the total of the kits which was £44.22 and than
the postage charge was added £28.22 which totals £72.42.

Thanks

Adrian.

Here is the order:

NEW AEC35046 Re-released! Panzer 38(T) detail set (design 1 4.25 4.25
>-- AEC35084 Bren Carrier (designed to be used with the T 1 5.95 5.95
>NEW AX50100 Wallace & Grommit figures, Aeroplane, Motorb 1 17.01 17.01
>NEW AX51102 Wallace & Grommit . The Curse of the Were-Ra 1 17.01 17.01
>---------
>Total £44.22

28.22 GBP to send two kits and 2 photo etched sheets.
that's $49.00 postage.......

Never again Dave Hannant.... People in hell will be sipping Ice Cold Crystal Light, and wearing peacoats before you ever see another dollar from me.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
WOW
Can't you stop payment and ship the order back, that's what I would try to do. That's just way to crazy, heck I would be going firkin ballistic
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:31 AM UTC
Mive from HK was about the same...... 2 big kits... 4 small ones.... and a bunch of Mr surfacer 500 (all seems to be Out Of Stock over here) shipping was as much as the "stuff"
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:33 AM UTC
No wonder 99% of the Brits I know order from the far east.....
Makes me wonder how Accurate Armour can send me several resin kits, for 7 to 10 pounds. "Airmail"

If I sound a little POed... it's because I am..... and will never do business with them again.

Hell, I get a few more kits in a package from the Far East.... a lot FARTHER than the UK..... for a lot less in shipping...... by "Airmail"......
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

You have been robbed!!

Until you get your money back, I too shall not bother to use Hannants, (they can ignore one potential customer, but not ALL OF US!!). I order from White Ensign Models in England, and they have the courtesy to give you the shipping charges before you commit with the plastic card, which is something all reputable shops do.

Pay attention Hannants, in the long run, this will be your undoing!

Frank
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:49 AM UTC
$49 for shipping from the UK?? Damn! Is Sienna Miller hand delivering it to you or something? lol

That's crazy Dave, you should look into refusing shipment and getting your money back. Keep us posted on the progress, if this is the outcome then I know I would never shop at Hannants either.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi Dave, personally i think that is outrageous, so i ordered the same things as you too see what it would come too, and as you can see postage is nearly nonexistent,
AEC35046 Etched parts (military) New Arrivals 1:35 Re-released! Panzer 38(T) deta £4.99 - + £4.99
Airwaves AEC35084 Etched parts (military) Sold Out 1:35 Bren Carrier (designed to be u £6.99 - + £6.99
Airfix AX50100 Starter or gift sets New Arrivals Not Known Wallace & Grommit figures, Aer £19.99 - + £19.99
Airfix AX51102 Starter or gift sets New Arrivals Not Known Wallace & Grommit . The Curse £19.99 - + £19.99
£51.96
Postage on available items £5.50
Total £57.46
Is there any chance you can cancel your order ?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
I tend to stick to Squadron and a few smaller online retailers. I can trust them.
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC
I once ordered an 1/32 IAF F-15 decal set from them.
shipping cost as much as the set (about 13 pounds) but it was the only place I could find that set.
at the end it didnt arrive at all and they never answered my mails.

wont even bother with them next time.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC
I was thinking like Joe, send it back, or tell them to keep it. Try to get the price all worked out before they even think of shipping, that's like when I got them decals of the speedometers.

The cost of them alone was enough, so shipping, they didn't need to make any more on that, so they worked out a deal with me, to ship them at the cost of a letter, instead of the 9 or 12 dollars like they first thought, or I wouldn't take the decals, cause they had the price of the decals, figured in with the shipping of a regular model, which I never got.

Then after everything was all clear, then I gave them the OK on my card number, now this wasn't Hannants though, but they will do the same if you don't give them any money, cause they don't need to make a killing on shipping to.

That is plane bad business, anybody that will do that, will cheat you in other ways to.
Kerry
Tordenskiold
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:03 AM UTC
Dave, I feel your pain - I have been on the receiving end of that stick enough times to know how it feels.

May I suggest you forget about UK and try continetal Europe instead ?

I buy from Plastic Modelbouw in the Netherlands and their shipping costs are fair to say the least.

They vary from 3 to 6 euro and actually gets cheaper the more you buy. Orders above € 60.00 are shipped free of charge within the EEC.

I don't know their costs to US - but no harm in asking them.

I also know they do not have everything - but they DO have a very broad sortiment. Please also note that the VAT will be withdrawn automaticly if shipped overseas.

Here's the link: http://www.plasticmodelbouw.nl/?page=85069
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
You should be expecting an official Hannants courier to present the kits to you at your door on a silver platter, along with a complementary bottle of wine and some chocolates.

Dave
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 715 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You should be expecting an official Hannants courier to present the kits to you at your door on a silver platter, along with a complementary bottle of wine and some chocolates.

Dave

In about 6 weeks if there usual postal service is anything to go by :-).
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:08 AM UTC
By which time the chocolates probably aren't fit to eat anyway. :-)

Dave

Edit: Just noticed that I have exactly the same amount of posts as you Andy. Want to race to 1000?
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi Dave, sorry you got stung mate, when did you place your order?
Also Hannants does feature in discussions on The Union Jack Club, as you'll notice they're James' (Phantom_Major) favourite seller.

A Similar thing happened to me on Ebay, to ship some 'rust solution', it cost me US$24 from the States and that on surface mail, to add insult to injury, 80 odd days later and nothing has arrived.

Quoted Text

No wonder 99% of the Brits I know order from the far east.....

Scary, it’s cheaper (including shipping) and faster to buy retail from overseas, than from UK shops. Unfortunately, for us in the UK that is, they are the largest model shop in the UK and stock almost everything.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:17 AM UTC
I say we track him down and show him our moneys worth!!!!

Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your order was sent on the 23rd December by Airmail and on the 20th December the authorisation on your credit card was done for the total of the kits which was £44.22 and than the postage charge was added £28.22 which totals £72.42.

Dave, Phone them up (yes, it’ll cost, but could be worth it to you) and enquire about your order.
I once had a problem with them taking their time (20+ days) sending out an order I had placed, I emailed to cancel and the response was that the order had already been sent, when I phoned a few days later, low and behold, the order was set to go out and not sent yet!
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 639 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:26 AM UTC
only if you pay for plane tickets Harrison
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:29 AM UTC
Well, now that I've taken my heart pills and calmed down some..... :-) :-)
I'll keep the package when it arrives... I've bought from Hannants many times in the past, and never paid such a high shipping rate... did rates go up in the UK lately?

I really do not believe I will ever purchase from them again after this. Anyone can pretty well figure out how big two Airfix Wallace and Gromets kits are, and two photo etched sheets. I've sent larger packages to Oz for 1/2 the money. ---- "Airmail"...... Gwardly.... maybe one of those hot BOAC stewardess' will deliver it..... :-)
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC
That's really bizarre. I know one guy who has bought stuff from hannants and he said that postage was actually cheaper than when ordering from domestic (in this case, Finnish) online stores.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 03:15 AM UTC
I know the feeling Dave.. The DAK Tiger I oreder ended up costing me about 100 bucks by the time I got finished with exchange and customs fees.. Had i been aware of the fees charged, I would have found a different supplier (Canadian) for 3 sets of Vallego paints I bought my wife for Christmas.. not looking forward to that bill..

Dave
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC
I never commit to a buy until I find out shipping / handling costs. I have heard too many stories like yours about being stung. I have on more than one occasion not ordered from China because what i ordered would cost a fortune in shipping (Like that huge Trumpeter 350 scale Nimitz.) But for real small stuff, that's the way to go. I usually stick to US distributers (as I live in US)
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
I do the same as Steve, for anything I buy not just model stuff. E-Bay sellers are now jacking the shipping prices up to compensate for their 'low' prices, you can see it easily with the calculate your shipping costs option on some bidders items. I've decided against many an E-Bay item because of that, I know what the cost of shipping the item should be and I don't like seeing the cost magically double.
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,594 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 05:21 AM UTC

Ordered a kit( E_BAY) from states --$52...............now being told postage $28..total $80
Have e-m' ed guy told him to re-assess--for snail -mail ..(not in a hurry)
Waiting reply --max box weight 600gm ---know its costly but commonsense must prevail
Send stuff to Europe by air all the time but dearest was £24 for 2,3kg --still took 18 days to get there
Have not used Hannants ---dont think I will
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Savage
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and never paid such a high shipping rate... did rates go up in the UK lately?

Last time I sent something to Costas in Greece, prices were the same as sending it domestic.

Quoted Text

...... Gwardly.... maybe one of those hot BOAC stewardess' will deliver it..... :-)

As BOAC merger with BEA to form British Airways in 1975, she’d be probably be pushing 60 and dragging a ton of baggage with her, Dave that’s a loaded gun you don’t want! :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP