_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A question for you photo-etch experts.......
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:38 AM UTC
When you fold a photo-etch box or something where two edges come together, how do you fill the seam where the two edges meet?

I have attempted to fill it with gap filling super glue but that shows up if the surface is flat it doesn't look good. I hope you guys can give me some good advice.

Thanks in advance.

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 11:24 AM UTC
If the inside of the box is not going to be visable, why not try soldering the seam.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
Geoff, would a regular soldering iron be ablr to grt th PE hot enough? I don't have the bucks to get a resistance set.

Josh Weingarten
AKA shiryon
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 01:33 PM UTC
Josh, I only have a regular 40 watt iron and it has worked for me. The items I soldered were fairly small though.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:05 PM UTC
I used to have a "Liquid Metal" tube glue, that kind of smelled like epoxy, but was a 1 part adhesive. It was sold for hardware work, and I think it was a metal filled aliphatic resin type of glue, or something along that line. I don't know if you can still get it or not. I remember it being called Liquid solder by one manufacturer. That worked really well on photo etch. I used to use it on photoetch body work on race cars, and file and blend it right into the rest of the body work. We would use photoetch pieces for the spoilers, and the edges of the bodies, to make them look thinner than plastic. THis adhesive would blend it right into the plastic, ,and still remain workable with small hand tools. It also filled, and took paint well, and didn't shrink. It looked almost like mercury or something. Maybe that's why I haven't seen it recently. I'll check out the hardware shops this week, and see if they still have the stuff, and try to get you a brand name.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 07:49 PM UTC
Two things for me to comment on:

1) I use a soldering iron tht has two setting (low and high). Got it at Michales for a few bucks.

2) As for the gap, get a Hold-n-Fold (or the new Etch Mate from Mission Models) and bend it tightly.

That's my 2¢.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP