_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Tips??? for soldering brass
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 09:34 PM UTC
All i have is a "pencil" type soldering iron from Xacto....... I need to do a bit of solderng as I Don'tthin CA on the brass will be strong enough......
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
Use a good quality solder.. Do not use acid core or flux core.. Get a roll of fine 50/50 solder and a tin of soldering paste.Prep both sreas to be soldered with sandpaper to clean. apply a thin coat of flux to both surfaces.. Use heat sinks if the work is small.. Usually a set of alligator clips will work. Just place them on either side of the spot to be soldered.. Heat the area from the bottom and apply the solder when hot.. Let the solder run into the joint.. When done, give a quick wipe with a cloth and on to the next spot.. Hope it helps..

Dave
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 12:48 AM UTC
Matt I recently got some low heat solder from Robert Burnside at Alpenflage Hobbies. There are two types 'Acid core' and 'Rosin core'. The Rosin core one is the right one to get.

I am also going to get a light dimmer switch put on my soldering iron cord so that I can reduce the power supply and thus the heat of the iron. The reason for this is that if the piece you are trying to solder is too close to an already soldered one it tends to melt that 'set' solder if it is too hot.

I will also go to an electronics shop and get some of the heat dispersing clips as a safeguard as well.

Your brass must be clean and I have been told to use flux instead of relying on the flux core solder as well. The solder will then go where the flux is.

After this it is just practice. The last time I did any real soldering was when I made leadlight windows back in the late '80's.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Cliff
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:40 AM UTC
thanks, Guys!!!! guess i need to practice a bit first...... and be sure stuff is clean
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 628 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hi preperation is the most important thing for soldering . You must clean and keep the part to be soldered clean . Best to use wire wool or give it a very light rub wth emmery paper 400 grade .
You must if you can tin the area you are to solder . This means apply a light coat of solder to both parts and wipe off any extra . Then hold the parts together in the shape desired and apply the soldering iron to the tinned area .If you have done a good job then the solder run and will join up and you will not need to add any extra. It is all down to practice . Use the left over edging strips from PE to practice on first . It is the basic part of training for an Electrician . I should know I was one for 40 years cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP