History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Hill 30 502nd PIR/ History Channel
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 03:41 PM UTC
I watched the special on the History Channel the other evening. I was wondering how many others might have enjoyed the program?

My wife's nephew called us nine mintues before the show! We had been anxiously awaiting the showing as we were lucky enough to meet one of those men, and call him one of our own. Our relative (grannie) recently married him. His name is Ed Mobley. He served in the 502nd I company.

I thought the presentation was well done, with good research, and depicted those first few days of the invasion well. I have read many books, and enjoyed doing research on the 101st in the last couple of years.

When we met Ed, I knew he had served with the 101st. With that knowledge alone, I felt honored. I had no clue until after I saw the interview the things this man had actually done or taken part in. I am just awe struck. I just have to say he is one of the most gentle, kind, god fearing men I have had the pleasure to meet and get to know. God bless him and Grannie, they are truly the salt of the earth...

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:04 PM UTC
Was that the show where the videogame Brother in Arms was based and they integrated scenes from the game into the show?
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:07 PM UTC
Yes, it was... Did you see it?
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:46 PM UTC
Yes I did although I missed the first 15 minutes of the 2 hours. It was a great show. It almost got me to buy the new Brothers in Arms but I resisted!!!
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
Alan you should give in to temptation good games they are! I know they take time from modeling! Four hours later you raise your head and say opps!

What did you all think about the program? It was interesting the use of the animation. How accurate is the game vs the actual combat senarios?

There also seems to be some descrepancy of different accounts of who took part in securing the XYZ complex behind the bunkers at Utah beach. Anybody else catch this descrepancy?

I find it curious that I keep seeing paratroops carring BARS... Is this just a faux pa? From all the research I have done and all the great historians on the airborne say there were none droped in combat. The only exception were the glider troops, and a few of the airborne boys who were dropped on the beaches by landing craft.