Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
German WWII Close Combat Badge help
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm looking hard for an affordable, authentic, bronze Close Combat badge.

My father-in-law was in the German Army and fought on the Russian Front. After a few 's my German got better and so did his English and we would talk about his time in the service. He no longer has ANY of his awards, but does have a lot of pictures. Anyhow, he was awarded the Iron Cross 1st Class, Iron Cross 2nd Class, Silver Wound Badge, and the Close Combat Badge. While stationed in Germany, I was able to get, from a ruputible dealer, all but the Combat Badge.

I'm not much into the militaria, but have several, for lack of a better term, framed displays that include ribbons, patches, medals, and insignia for my Father (submariner WWII), Uncles (Navy, Navy, and Army Air Corps WWII), mine from 20 years in the Army, and want to put one together for my father-in-law.

It'll be an interesting contrast......US and German.

Any help or pointing in the right direction will be appreciated. Oh, checked out http://www.germanmilitaria.com/ and they have/had one but at $325. Ouch. Is that a normal cost???? Hope not.

Thanks much,

Mike
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:21 PM UTC
Mike,

That will likely be the going rate if you buy from a dealer. Bill Shea has one for $350.00.

Cody
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:50 PM UTC
Cody,

Thanks for the reply. I had better start saving the duckies then....Figures the last piece would be the most expensive.

Another question regarding the Iron Cross, 2nd: wasn't it worn with just the ribbon going from a button (second from the top) to inside the jacket flap? Though my display would be the IC suspended from the ribbon. I ask, because the pics I've seen have an IC (1st?) worn on the pocket and the red/white/black ribbon (2nd?) attached to a button.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,

Mike
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:18 PM UTC
If you want an original, your lookin at $350. I could find you a nice repro for about $25.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
"Another question regarding the Iron Cross, 2nd: wasn't it worn with just the ribbon going from a button (second from the top) to inside the jacket flap??

I believe that to be the case.

Cody
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
As a matter of fact, that was just the tunic version to show to your comrades that you did get that medal. You also got the actual medal in a nice case.