Trouble with decals?
Decal help.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:00 PM UTC
Ok guys this is the 1st time I have used decals.
I’ve already put 2 of them on yesterday and have a few questions. I’m also using testors “decal set” on them.

1st they are going on over a bumpy area. 1 of them came out fine but the other one didn’t go down between all the little bumps. I was wondering if I could apply the Decal Set to it agin to try and get it settle better of would doing that damage the decal?

Also when applying the decal set ontop of the one decal after sliding it into place the brush ripped a small piece off of it. I was able to get it fixed but was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to keep from doing it again.

Thanks.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:39 PM UTC
Jacob,
Testor's decal Set is good,but there is also Microscale Micro -Sol,and Micro-Set.These may be stronger.

When I apply decals,I brush on a bit of my setting solution on the area where the decal will go.I also put a bit of solution on top of the decal after.Various decals respond differently to setting solutions.It is almost the luck of the draw.
If a decal fragmented,it may have been "old" this is a consequence of the paper they were printed on,or the inks themselves.Make sure the decal has been in water for a long time,then try gently pushing it on the backing paper to see if it has loosened.

(++) (++)
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
Thanks.

The decal came off of the backing fine.
Its just that after applying it to the kit I brushed some more decal set on top of it like the instructions said and the brush brock it.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:30 AM UTC
I have been using micro-sol and set and that has never happened to me. The solutions should soften decals, not break them. Were the decals old? That can be the reason they broke. I've heard that sometimes old decals can disintegrate when used. And some decals are really fragile, and break very easily.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Jacob,

This has happened to me. Not often, but it can.

Best to put the setting solution down, apply the decal, then do not mess with it. If you need more solution, flood the brush and let it drip on, or apply with an eye dropper / pipette.

And despite it all, NEVER NEVER NEVER discard the backing paper until you know for certain the decal is down where you want it. Sometimes it is best to remove it and reapply--ask me how I know...;-)
redneck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Thanks.

I was brushing it right on top of the decal. I’ll try using a dropper next time.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
I've had the decal "rip" several times in my life. I just get the main piece in the position I want and using a tool with a very fine tip (like a toothpick) I gently position the ripped off piece to where it ripped off. With gentle manipulation and using the solvents you really can't tell unless you look at it with a super fine magnifying glass.
 _GOTOTOP