_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Mörser Karl-Gerät
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Merry christmas...
Got the Trupeter Mörser Karl-Gerät for christmas. What referencebooks should I get. Are there any good detailing kits out there, or is the kit good enough as it is?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi, As far as details and quality of the kit goes I think it would depend on just how much detail you're looking for or wish to add to it.

Personally I found this kit to be all that Trumpter said it was and mine built up quite nicely just OOTB. The only additions I made to it were to use the kit supplied railroad tracks and ties and mount them onto a wooden base and then used model RR ballast to fill in. So much better than the plastic road bed, as it is so much more life-like to the overall finished project.

It would be a good idea to either get Dragon's figure set that goes with this kit or the K5 and add them, and/or some other accessories to add here and there too. Mgs. helmets, bags, wooden ties, tarps, barrels, that sort of thing. This way there is some reference to the human scale in just how big the overall piece is.

The only 'down' side to it is to watch out for those pin marks here and there and either fill them in or sand them down. Luckily there aren't all that many of them to fool with

This definitely is no week-end project, but once it's done you will have really accomplished something out of the ordinary as far as building model kits goes.

Much luck to you and take care, Larry:-H
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
Henrik,
Thomas L.Jentz has a softcover book,"Bertha's Big Brother,KARL-GERAET.This has many pictures of the guns , both 540 mm,and 600 mm.
There was an AFV Modeller issue which showed a Dragon model Karl being uberdetailed.I don't have the issue # in front of me.
Good luck,have fun.
(++) (++)
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:46 PM UTC
the 1/35th modeling site has some very good references also.
capnjock
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
The 'Karl' was one of my favourite builds! I had a great time doing it and was the first time that I really tried some real nice weathering and such.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This definitely is no week-end project, but once it's done you will have really accomplished something out of the ordinary as far as building model kits goes.

That's true. I could not belive the size of the box when I got it. so big. And inside there is just sprue after sprue after sprue.

I have more or less decided to do this one out of the box now. If I throw in a lot of PE, it will just take to much time...
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 04:56 PM UTC
Henrik:

I just got the DML Karl about a month ago. I believe it is AFV Modeller 12 that has the article. I got a nice piece of reference if u want it. PM me.

moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 07:45 AM UTC
hi Henrik.. i'll say you are a very lucky man! i think that was an excellent kit. here's a review on PMMS:

trumpeter morser
 _GOTOTOP