_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Buying compressor advice
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
Any advice where can I get an air compressor for modelling paint job?

I have a budget of around RM 600.

Since I dont have a spare room or garage, would prefer a compact and quiet machine.

Also low maintanaince would be nice.

BTW, any suggestion for airbrush?

never use an air rbush before.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 06:13 AM UTC
A complete quiet compressor with air receiver tank and regulator is around RM900 at MH. HHQ has a basic compressor without tank for less than RM500 (about RM450).

As for airbrushes, there are many types to choose from. Are you looking for single or double action airbrush? I am using a 15 year old Badger a/b but there are brands like Aztek, Iwata etc. Iwata spare parts are available in Malaysia but not Badger.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hi

Can't resist talking air-brush and compressor so here's my two cents:

To me choosing an air-brush/compressor combination is like deciding which archery equipment is more important - the arrows or the bow. While a good competition recurve with carbon laminated limbs gives a better cast it's ultimately the arrow which goes to the target and score you the points. Similarly, I would place more importance on a/b choice. It's the spray from the a/b which is going to touch your model. The compressor only provides the propellant. As long as it has a receiver tank and regulator the compressor should serve its purpose. You're more fortunate. I didn't have a RM600 budget to start with so those smaller, less noisy but more expensive ones were out of my league. Inspite of the lack of space I managed to get a RM240 made-in-China-bicycle repair shop type to fit into my work area. It does produce some noise when filling the tank and starts up automatically only when a certain level of air is exhausted. An occasional whirring or buzzing sound is what anyone upstairs will hear. It's not constant and won't wake up the dead. Lubricating oil rarely needs to be topped up. I did a complete oil change only once in the three or four years since I bought it. And I'm a regular user !

As for the a/b, I'd go for the double action, internal mix anytime. Your techniques will improve and in time will want more than what a single action can give you. That being the case, it's better that the pocket sakit once rather than twice. I started with a double action Badger 150F. Its metal body provides a nice balance and feel but care is to be taken. Fine needles may get bent and if not replaced will damage the head/tip. A thorough clean may involve dismantling. A good a/b overall. If you like the Badger, go for the 155 Anthem. Just look up the ad found in most model mags for more information on its advantages over the 150 and others of its kind.

My second a/b is the black Aztek A4305. It's plastic body took me some getting used to but not a biggie.
With its inter changable heads for fine, medium spray etc, one a/b is all you need and makes thorough cleaning a breeze as they are solvent resistant. I can soak them in mineral spirits ( depending on the type you use ) for days without problem. The heads need to be screwed on properly though to avoid splatty squirts. At the moment all I need are the fine and medium ( wide coverage ) heads. The fine head is so useful that I have hardly any need for masking except for aircraft canopies and ship waterlines. Armor can be sprayed fully built, wheels, tracks and all and camo can be done freehand, even mottling on 1/72 aircraft. But that's another story involving paint consistency, pressure and distance.

Parts for both the Badger and Aztek can be purchased online from Squadron with reasonable shipping. I've made enquiries direct to Badger's manufacturer and Squadron's is still more cost effective. You can also get cheaper re-cond Azteks from a regular seller on eBay. I bought both mine brand new from this auction site. Slightly cheaper...if you're lucky no one outbids you.

Hope this helps you put your RM600 to good use with some left over for a few new kits to boot. Feel free to contact me should you need more info.

Regards
Patrick
 _GOTOTOP