_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
What oil paint for washes?
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 198 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 07:47 PM UTC
In Singapore, I can only seem to find Daler Rowney Georgian oil paint. I use raw umber to wash brown surfaces, but washing grey surfaces has me stumped. I tried ebony black, but it's way too dark. Diluting it with turpentine simply dilutes the number of black particles rather than turns it lighter.

How should I wash the panel lines of grey aircraft?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hey... go to Ngee Ann City (the "Arts" level, same level as Art Friend) and you'll see some shops selling painting materials. They got oils paints like Winsor & Newton and the colour range is huge.

As for washing over the panel lines of an aircraft, you can try ivory + little black/grey... I think it's a matter of trial and error... sorry, I haven't built aircrafts before and I can't remember the range of oil paints avaliable. Maybe you can go visit the place...
blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC
Hi,

I faced the same problem when I tried to apply washes for the internal of M113 (which was light grey). What I tried was to mix

Umustb was right when he mentioned bout Windsor & Newton oil, Gray mixed with some brown and it turns out quite while. Of course, you can do some filtering after applying washes to blend the tone of washes (which I did!), but like umustb, i never tried on airplanes b4. Why don't you post this to the Air folks in the site?

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP