_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Vallejo Air Problems
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hey all, today i decided to try out my vallejo air paint on my marder IIIm. It went on great at first, probably 20 minutes worth of painting. But as time went on, the vallejo air paint started to clog around the needle, making the spray become very spattery and incosistent. I would clean the needle off and start painting again, but it would start clogging up around the needle in no seconds flat. I'm shooting at around 15-25 psi, and using denatured alcohol to clean the airbrush parts when paint buildup occured. What am I doing wrong...or what is my airbrush doing wrong?
Ian
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 07:44 AM UTC
Is the paint thinned well enough? Maybe try pushing the PSI up a tad bit to 30 or so?
One thing I try to check for is if there is moisture in the tank, sometimes it builds up and spits or clogs around the needle of my brush...

Search for Vallejo's website and they have an article on their Air paints.
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
I didnt attempt to thin the paint because the Air Vallejo line is supposedly "reay to airbrush" no thinning required. Anyone else run into these problems?
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
Vallejo suggest putting a couple of drops of their thinner in to help prevent clogging. I also think that if you are using a lot of paint and it is in the brush for a while it may start to thicken up anyway.

Myself and others do thin model air further and get good results. I use two drops of thinner to five drops of paint, which also helps extend how much paint you have. I tend to spray at 20-25 psi at the moment. I would also be wary of other thinning agents but some people do use water and alcohol and it seems to work for them. Maybe different air brush set ups prefer different thinning methods.

However every now and again i get flow and spattering problems which may be caused by the tip and needle of my airbrush being slightly off-set.

Ross
 _GOTOTOP