TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Big Red One-The Reconstruction DVD
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
Here's a link to a redone movie about the Big Red One movie that starred Lee Marvin and Mark Hamill It looks like it's 4 hours long One of those DVD sets that includes a lot more scenes that never made into the original movie

Another DVD I gotta get I enjoyed the original version Even if it used IDF M51 Shermans to portray Tiger tanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007TKNLA/ref=pd_ys_ir_all_28/002-3318753-7816067?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC
My Dad loved The Big Red One, mainly because that was the last unit he was in in WWII and he was very proud of it.

I can't say I'll be rushing out to get this expanded DVD. From what I've seen of other DVDs where they have deleated scenes I can prety much see why they were deleated in the first place. A DVD might have 10 hours of extra stuff, but I never seem to have the time, or inclination, to spend that amount of time in front of the tube.

Looks decent for those who like this kind of thing though.

I wouldn't pick on the producers for using Ishermans, Tigers are few and far between and not everybody goes to the extemes Kelly's Heroes and Saving Private Ryan went to.
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
thanks for the heads up!
Ron
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
I've seen both versions and the second one is a much better movie. It is about 30 or 40 minutes longer but the scenes they added make the movie more complete..There were actually more scenes that the people who put out the 2nd version wanted to put in but they couldn't make them fit with the story. Also the 2nd version was put out after Fuller died.
EMT5911
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:20 AM UTC
I thought the new version was awesome. Why they deleted those 3 battle scenes is way beyond me, like when they land in Italy and blow up the trucks. Someone should actually make a re-make of this movie with todays advisors like Dale Dye and the plethera of authentic vehicles out there it would be spectacular. Maybe I should get off the computer and get going on that new script (hahaha). I actually picked up the the new 2-disc collectors edition of A BridgeToo Far yesterday and haven't had a chance to see all the special features yet but it gives me something to do this week with all the snow and bad weather they say is coming in the next few days, ahhhh New England winters.

C-Ya,

Z.