_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
White foam like stuff on model after CA
klh1966
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 29 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
I noticed some white like foam that was hard a round the areas were I had used CA glue to glue PE parts to my tank. any idea whay this happened?
Is there a BETTER glue to use to glue PE parts to plastic models?

Any help would be great.

Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC
Ive read a few things about using future as a glue for PE.. Not sure how well it would hold.. IM sure there will be someone else along shortly to offer some more advice

Dave
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:27 AM UTC
The white stuff is the residue from the chemical reaction that is generated when the CA glue 'goes off'. If you have a lot of this it usually means you have used far too much glue for the part.

You can use a two part epoxy resin glue to acheive the same purpose. The beauty of this is that you have more time to place the part in the correct position. This is also a much stronger bonding glue then CA as well being stronger in sideways movement as well as straight pull.

I too have heard that Varnish or future can be use to 'glue' PE parts on but I have not tried it and seriously doubt I ever will as I think it would in fact be a very weal joint.

Cheers
Cliff
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Hi Kerry, Ive tried future to glue PE, but wasnt impressed with the holding power.
I am not a big fan of CA glue so I'm always looking for alternatives. Two I've found are either 5 minute epoxy or 'Probond' by elmers.
All have there advantages and disadvantages:
CA - quick but to quick not enough time to position the peice, good bond
5 minute epoxy - fairly quick but I hate the mixing, strong bond
Probond - very slow (over night), but no mixing, very strong bond

I use them all for different applications.

Hope this helps some
Bruce
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
if i understand what you mean its probably just the ca fumes reacting to the great neft from a nerby finger print. a drop o ca in a ziploc with an object will reveil all finger prints on that object. Just sanding it off should do.

Frank
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Kerry, there is also a 1 minute epoxy out there. Very strong bond, low odor and easy to mix and use. For very small PE parts, that will have no stress placed on them I use future or plain Elmers White Glue. For anything that might remotely have any type of pressure applied to it, I use epoxy or CA as applicable. "Q"
klh1966
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 06:22 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help and ideas.
For the life of me I seam to recall reading on the net some were there is a GLUE just for PE parts and it was for sale in Germany. I seam to remember it was not cheep at all, but oh well. Myth busted. LOL..
 _GOTOTOP