_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Foamcore - For the South Africans
Orffer
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hi

I would like to ask a question for the South Africans in the audience.

I read on various forums that people use foamcore, pink insulation foam and other types of products to create diorama bases.

My questions: (Taking into account I'm living in Gauteng and I would like to build buildings and bases for Wargaming)

1. Does foamcore have the same name in South Africa?
2. Does pink insulation foam have the same name in South Africa?
3. Where do I find it? (going to my local hardware shops, the only response that I get is ... )
4. If it can be found in South Africa, would it be too much to ask for specific store names?
5. If this products are not in South Africa, what do I use instead? (Do I use styrofoam?)

Any information regarding your techniques would be more as welcome too!

Yours faithfully and anxiously waiting for your valued input!

Dieter
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hi Dieter

It’s been awhile since I lived in SA (Tswane/Pretoria whatever it’s called nowadays), but here goes:

Foamcore is basically a polystyrene core with a clay or paper covering. So try looking for polystyrene. Some hardware stores do keep it in stock, but I found that the CNA (do they still exist?) used to be able to get hold of it for me. Also places that cater for graphic artists will stock it, as IIRC foamcore was originally produced for the graphic arts industry.

Have you tried talking to the guys at Jix yet?

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, I used to go to furniture and appliance stores (Russels, Morkels, Dion’s etc…) and ask for the packaging materials. They were usually happy to give them away, cut these up and you can glue them into the numerous shapes you require.

Don’t forget to take a black bag with….
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 04:59 PM UTC
Eric,

Great advice... what you're describing sounds like the packaging some TV's come in....

Rudi
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC
Yep Rudi, Styrofoam / polystyrene whatever you call it, just about anything related to electronics is packaged in it.

One of the Bostik range of glues, I think (can’t be sure) it was the milder Contact adhesive used to work well on Styrofoam / polystyrene.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC
A good graphic supply shop should have it. Ask for it under the names of Foamboard or even Featherboard. It should come in A3, A2 or even A1 sheets. It may also be known uber the name of 'feather-board'..Jim
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:08 PM UTC
Dood gewone white glue can be used to glue polystyrene core... well that's what we always sold the RC plane guys for their polystyrene core wings... didn't hear of any coming apart mid-air - well not because of the glue anyway... :-)

Also UHU make a "special" polystyrene glue... any half-decent art supply store should keep it...

Rudi
Orffer
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the replies.

I have been to Eswex and Victor's but not to Jix Hobbies. I'll have a look around in the art shops too!

Regards

Dieter
 _GOTOTOP