TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Play Dirty
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 11:11 PM UTC
I got myself a new toy the other day, a DVD recorder. I'm not in hog heaven since I can record on DVDs some of the old movies being shown on satelite. One movie I haven't seen in a long time, that I now have on DVD, is Play Dirty, with Michael Caine. This is a movie somewhat loosely based on a cross between the SAS and the LRDG in WWII. It stresses how soldiers sometimes had to "play dirty" in winning the war. it came out in 1968, just about the time I think I was first getting into modeling, and I seem to remember being inspired to build lots of kits set in North Africa at that time because of it. They use Mercades Benz trucks instead of Fords and Chevys, but other than that I think the look and feel of the equipment is pretty good.

It's a kind of different war movie in that it really slows down in some spots, such as when they are getting the trucks to the top of an escarpment, or clearing some booby traps, while at other times it's break neck action. There is a near rape, the "good guys" are pretty rotten, and it's got a surprise ending, which I won't disclose.

If you get a chance I'd advise giving it a watch.

Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,697 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
I can't say I've heard of this one. I like Mr. Caine, a very good actor.
I'll have to look out for it.

Edit.

Rats, I just looked it up on google and the review tells you the bloody ending
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
I had never seen this movie until I got Charter Digital Cable. It seems that it comes on about 4 times a day now on various channels. I have also become acquainted with the old Combat series that I had always heard about but never seen. It's funny how the old stuff is better than anything produced these days.

Patrick
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Haven't seen that one for years, IIRC it's (distantly) based on the events that also formed the basis for the films Raid on Rommel and Tobruk.