Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
WWII Japanese Rifle..type?
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 12:44 PM UTC
This was given to me by a friend.Was wonderering if anyone could tell me what type..Yes the MUM has been filed off..is it worth anything? Actually in pretty good shape for its age.

animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
It looks to be an Arisaka 6.5. Since the Mum flower has been ground off I don't believe it to be worth very much. Anything that you do to change the original condition will devalue the piece. If you are not too sure about the rifle it should be checked out by a gunsmith before you try to fire it. Best to hang on the wall and admire it.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 03:52 PM UTC
Thanks Dave...I have no plans to sell it or fire it..and yes ..it hangs on the wall in my family room.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 902 Posts
KitMaker Network: 121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
I have the same rifle with the Mum just notched ..... and not a spec of rust on it and I have the bayonet / sword for it as well ...... I wonder ...... John if you get a ballpark figure on yours drop me a note please.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC
Scott, I did find a site online, if I find it again I will get it for you, for just the rifle they were from $250 up to $500. None were in pristine shape..$500 had the MUM intact.
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:13 PM UTC
Its a type 99 arisaka , cheaper massed produced version of the type 38 rifle that the Japanese went into the war with,it is also slightly shorter than the type 38.
From your pictures it is in good shape but all I would do is maybe spray some remoil on it and rub it in to protect it and maybe some in the barrel anf then just hang it or put it in your closet as a collectable.
Unfortunately after the war the majority of these rifles had the mum ground off by US Army as it was a symbol of the Imperial emperor and that alot of these rifles were then given to S. Korea after being chambered for our 30.06.
I have seen a couple of these rifles on the firing range the the owner neglected to have them checked out for saftey and well wont go into details on what happened so if you want to fire it please make sure it is not one of the rechambered ones and either one it is safe to shoot.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thats a nice gun you’ve got there.

I don’t know if this is the site you were talking about or not but you can check out prices here.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/2255/2255-random-1.htm
That should take you to there listings of Japanese rifles.