TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Japanese "Yamato" movie
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 5,422 Posts
KitMaker Network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Does anyone know if the Japanese movie about the Yamato is going to be released on DVD in the US? I went to the web site. It looks good, but I don't read Japanese. This looks like it will be an awesome movie. It's set to come out in December.

Yamato

Kenny
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:12 PM UTC
Looks like an awesome movie... I'll be keeping a look out..
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:39 PM UTC
Is this going to be in theaters? Or is it a foreign film? Sounds like it would be cool. A little change of pace.

~Chip
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
The one thing I've heard about the movie, from an "e-friend" who is in Japan, is that it's title The Men of Yamato, really says it's all, it's going to focus more on the men of the ship. It should be very interesting to see, but I doubt it will be out on DVD in the U.S. any time soon.

Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Well let us know if it comes to the movies, aye?
Ron
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 08:21 PM UTC
Baffering?
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's terrible, one long propaganda piece.....

Propaganda piece?
Did you actually see it, Roderick?
I'm going to check it out this week. Tried to go last week, but the lines were too long.
I'll let you know what I think.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Roderick. I'd still like to see if if it ever comes to the states. They might change it, like the changed Pearl Harbor for the Japanese market.

I was in a hobby store the other day and saw a small kit of the Yamato, I think it might have been 1/1200 or 1/2400, that looked like it had scenes from the movie on the box. It was all in Japanese so I'm not sure.

Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's terrible, one long propaganda piece.....

Propaganda piece?
Did you actually see it, Roderick?
I'm going to check it out this week. Tried to go last week, but the lines were too long.
I'll let you know what I think.

You'll have to forgive me, I still get upset over the whole "War Denial" problem......
Saw it, usual heroic japanese soldiers vs evil western invaders........

Heroic Japanese soldiers vs evil Western invaders? Well hey, guess what! That's precisely how it was back then from the Japanese point of view, and particularly with the Yamato story.

"War denial?" Like you, I still get upset over that, but for the opposite reason. Japan has officially, constantly and consistently acknowledged its role in WWII. Official apologies are issued every year by the Prime Minister. Where's the "denial?" (Aside from the lunatic fringe ultra right-wing nationalists in their noisy black trucks.)
China and Korea constantly gripe about the "denial" in Japanese history textbooks. Ever read one? The ones I've read seem fairly comprehensive to me. Manchuria. Nanking. Comfort women. It's all there. No denial whatsoever.
From what I've seen, the groups that cry "denial" the loudest are the ones seeking financial retribution.

Roderick, you'll also have to forgive me, this really isn't the place for such a debate, and this problem is really too complicated for my meager intellect to comment upon any further.

Anyway, I still haven' t seen the film yet. Will post again when I do. Hopefully, the effects will be pretty good.
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC
I went and saw the film today. Packed theater.
I liked it.
Rather than a "terrible propaganda piece" as it was described above, I found it to be a moving drama about relationships forged by war, and the heartbreaking losses inevitably incurred by it. It was the story of the men of the Yamato, how they bonded, and how the war and the Yamato affected them and their families, right up to the present day.
There's not a whole lot of battle action (a short bit of the Battle of Leyte Gulf and the final sinking near Okinawa), as the film primarily focuses on the drama. The Yamato itself is on-screen quite a bit, both exterior and interior, so there is quite a bit to see for ship fans and of course Yamato fans in particular. Some of the effects shots are brilliant, some are just OK. There are many beautiful shots of the Yamato cruising.

For linguists, the film also presents a great chance to hear and compare a variety of Japanese dialects, mostly those of Osaka, Kyoto, and Hiroshima.

I would recommend the film to anyone interested in the history of the Yamato.
It's drama, not propaganda.
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 11:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't interested in a debate, but here's a fun idea for you..... ask some of your local friends who started the war..... also the history books do in fact say , "war broke out with china" and not "Japan invaded china". Its beside the point anyway because most people here dont even seem to know more than that; there was a war, and hiroshima was bombed..... But hey what can you do.

*NOTE FOR MODERATORS*
Sorry if some of this might seem strange, but if you've lived in japan you'll know what we're talking about....

Roderick, that's not quite my idea of fun, and what you've described is simply a matter of semantics, not a matter of untruthfulness or denial.
Incidentally, all my Japanese friends and acquaintences with whom I've discussed this topic all agree unequivocally that Japan started the war as the aggressor, and most foolishly so.

If you indeed were not interested in a debate, then I would respectfully suggest that in the future you consider the inflammatory nature of comments such as those you posted here.

To end this discussion on a friendly and humorous note, here's a funny war-related story that happened to me in an elevator one day:
I'm 195cm tall and weigh 120 kilos (6' 5" and 270 pounds). I got onto an elevator at my office one day with two businessmen aged somewhere in their 60's, both of whom stood about 160cm or so tall (about 5' 3"). After we exchanged the obligatory greetings, the apparently senior of the two, after complimenting me on how impressively large he thought I was, turned to his partner and said, "Now I can clearly understand why we lost the war!"
A good laugh was had by all.

Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

EH... technically germany started the war..... my point was actually, and very sadly, that most people (especially young people) in japan dont know. And it's not really semantics, its like the Germans saying "War broke out with poland...."

I certainly agree with your point about young people here. Heck, half the kids I've talked to aren't even sure whether Todaiji is in Kyoto or Nara!
Sadly, ignorant youth is not a problem only in Japan.

Back to movies and modelling:
Seeing the Yamato film put me in a shipbuilding frame of mind, so I picked up the Tamiya 1/700 Yamato kit in the special Otokotachi no Yamato box (same price as the regular release, thankfully) and the Pit Road upgrade set (Gold Medal PE, metal 18" gun barrels, and some resin pieces). It's been a loooong time since I've built a ship, but here goes nothing...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
hmm... sounds like an interesting kit... too bad I got the 1/350 Tamiya Yamato in stash, otherwise my hands will itch for getting the new release by Tamiya...

anyway... thanks for updating us on the current situation in japan..

Cheers to friendship..
and I hope I get to watch the movie.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC
Look forward to having an opportunity to see the movie. I've built the 350 scale and found a 700 kit of her in her inital configuration in 700 scale. As for denial....go to Germany and visit Dachau......if you can find it. Very little left of that and talk about denial... I ived there is the early 60's, mid seventies, and early 80's it gets more and more pronounced with each generation (the holocaust is the imagination of the Allied forces when the occupation occured)