_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Cheap foil source other than wine bottle lead
Jock
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 58 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC
Discovered this awhile ago. The metal forms on tea lights make handy tool clasps,etc. It's a little thick but easy to work,simple to bend and you can cut it with scissors.Don't use Mommy's good scissors or she'll have a bird.You can pick up bags of these candles for real cheap at any discount store,a couple of bucks for 50.Pop out the candle and save for later use or burn the candle down and save the metal.Hope this is helpful to all,like me,who like to reuse and get something cheap.JOCK a.k.a.Chris Benson
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
I'm told the outer protective wrapper for unexposed dental x-ray films ( individually wrapped) are lead foil as well.
My dentist doen't use that type, but next time you're in the chair, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Mike
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
Who eats deepfrozen stuff ?
It's often held in an aluminium dish. I knox some people use that material as a metal foil.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
all thin metal foils can be used, but lead is the only metal that is so flexible. Since lead is poisonous, you'll find very little of it in daily use. Old wine and champagne bottles are still the best source.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:27 AM UTC
If some of you guys use those Folger's or Maxwell house Coffee bags, the wrappers are foil. You can get quite a few seatbelts from one wrapper.....
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
Well, for those that are recent parents, I've found that the foil cover on Carnation powdered milk is great for use as a foil. It's a really good thickness and forms well.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:50 PM UTC
When you go to the dentist, ask if they will save you all of their used bite wings. These are the oral xrays that they use. The bite wings have a small sheet of lead foil in each of them. All you need is a few of these, and you will have plenty of foil for straps, belts, etc.

Patrick
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:48 AM UTC
If you really have to have .006 inch lead foil, the kind VLS etc. sells for about $ 7.00, you can get your entire modeling club a lifetime supply at the website below for $72.00. Seven dollars worth of it would be a chunk about 14" x 22" (That's a lot of wine bottles...)

Lead Foil Link

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
I tried that idea awhile ago.
1st try

I'd be willing to get in on the purchase.

Matt
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hey, I'm looking into getting used aluminum printing plates from the local paper. They are 22” x 36” x .008 inches. As I understand it they take them off the presses and pitch them in a recycling bin. I have worked with it before. I think that being run on the press makes the aluminum much more malleable. I’m going to call the local paper tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it works out. I’ll get as many as I can…

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 01:44 PM UTC
Why does it have to be lead?
What about a little recycling from our own hobby. For anybody who uses tube paints the metal that is used in the tubes is ideal for belts, straps etc. Alternatively you could use toothpaste tubes. Even the plastic tubes have their uses. Here in Sweden they have caviar in tubes....... Im sure if you look around lts of household items come wrapped like this.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:48 PM UTC
Again I point out that PEWTER foil is as soft and yet as sturdy as Lead Foil, and is readily available at larger craft and hobby shops (Check out www.michaels.com). it is sold in rolled tubes about 18 inches long, and 10-12 inches wide, for $18. It is available in several thicknesses, including the .7mm that is so popular. It takes paint well, can be formed with the hand, or cut with an Xacto knife blade. I did an entire Russian 45mm AntiTank Gun - for about $5 or $6 by my estimation... only had to buy the wheels and used brass rod for the cannon and axle. Michael's also sells copper, aluminum, and tin at cheaper prices, but I prefer the heft and strength of Pewter... look for it in the "Burnishin" or "Rubbings" section (people often use this stuff to copy the inscriptions on tombstones or monuments). - Keith
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 05:56 PM UTC
Here is a source for the Pewter Foil i mentioned... looks the same, but a shorter roll for only $9 plus change...

TEXT: Soft 100% pure metal sheets, with excellent pliability. 9-1/4 in x 12 in. sheets work easily with artemboss stencils or any tool you choose.

Pewter Medium Foil. Stock #: PA50042L Price: $9.29

http://campscrafts.safeshopper.com/119/2779.htm?389

_GOTOTOP