Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Up the Irons !!!!!!
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 83 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 05:04 AM UTC
This is for all of you Maiden fans.

For starters, what is your favorite album put out by Eddie and the boys?

Later,

JOHN

Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC
I really haven't followed them since...oh...about 1987. :-)

I would have to say that I cannot just pick one album though. Powerslave & Piece of Mind are tied!
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really haven't followed them since...oh...about 1987. :-)

I would have to say that I cannot just pick one album though. Powerslave & Piece of Mind are tied!

Both great ones, I like Somewhere in Time. That was the album that got me hooked on Madien.

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
My favorite albums? That's a tough one. From the "golden era", one of my favorites are The Number Of The Beast and Powerslave. Newer favorites of mine are Brave New World and Fear Of The Dark.
FOD was actually the first IM album I've heard, I borrowed it from my local library at the age of 12. It took several years to finally get hooked. Rock In Rio live album is responsible for me getting finally hooked.

Have seen Maiden live? I have seen them once. This year, 6th of July. Incredible, their live show was incredibly energetic. Better than Metallica last year. 'Tallica rocked too, but Maiden were even better!
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
at the risk of sounding big headed, i've seen them play every tour since the powerslave album, i'm also the proud owner of two nicko mcbrain drumsticks and a dave murry plectrum. i can't pick a fave album or track by maiden, but i was at the monsters of rock in 88 and when they started the intro to seventh son (the song itself) the sun had just set and there was smoke from fires drifting towards the stage, a magical moment for me and everyone of my mates
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
I saw Iron Maiden a good 5 or 6 years ago at Red Rocks. There was also Queen's Reich and Rob Hawford. What a concert!!!!!!

I would love to see them again just one more time.

Hey, does anyone know if there are any Maiden leather jackets?

I am trying to collect some Maiden items and have some old albums and a Piece of Mind tour Jacket.

Later,

JOHN

trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 64 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 07:42 PM UTC
Greetings fellow Maiden fans (Maidenheads just doesn't seem appropriate ) from a newly minted fan.

Thanks to the previous post in the Armour/AFV area, I decided to check out Iron Maiden's discography and was I ever surprised! I haven't seen a band with this great a sense of history since Iced Earth.

Their repertoire is also nice and wide spanning from the Ancient (Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, Invasion/Invaders) 'Sword and Musket' (The Trooper) to the obvious 20th century references (Paschendale, Aces High, Run Silent Run Deep, Tailgunner, The Edge of Darkness, The Mercenary, etc.) 'Fortunes of War' and 'The Aftermath' are appropriately poignant.

Some other their songs deal with obvious Sci-Fi themes (i.e. To Tame a Land refers to DUNE) and are exactly perfect for Warhammer 40,000 ("Out of the Silent Planet" is Perfect for Necrons; don't worry if the reference is lost on you.)

I do remember seeing Steve Harris in a documenatary on the Ultimate 10 tanks in history. It was rather interesting to see him tearing around a muddy field driving a T-34/85 with the driver's hatch open (and getting splashed in mud!) He was having a blast!!

Thanks for expanding the gamut of my musical tastes.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
I met Dave Murray, Janick Jers(?) and Blaze Bailey in the Dubliner, Stockholm ´98 ..the night before their "virtual world tour" Stockholm gig. They always go there for a few beers the night before, when they play in Stockholm. Had a great night with them. Unbelivebly normal guys and gentlemen into the bargin. Dave Murray invited myself along the pub staff to come to the gig the next night as VIPS. Still got the passes and backstage photos. It was a dream come true, to meet Steve Harris after the concert. Helloween and Dirty Deeds played the same gig.
I recognised the guitarist from dirty deeds ... he used to play with a British band called Chariot (1st Kerrang video) and was out on their tour bus afterwards with them also. A very memorable night you could say. Have met them twice since.
The first 4 albums will never be surpassed IMO. Iron maiden, Killers, Number of the beast and piece of mind still get regular playing. For some reason the song "reach out" is a favourite song ... its a b-side of one of the singles from somewhere in time! Adrian Smith sings it.
Have seen Maiden quite a few times ... Dublin, Belfast, Stockholm .... but the best was 1992 Monsters of rock in Donnington. As said previously .. its an experience in itself. I was slightly(?) intoxicated and cleared quite a circle during the trooper ... run around in a circle for the whole song with an Irish flag thinking I was eddy on the single cover.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do remember seeing Steve Harris in a documenatary on the Ultimate 10 tanks in history. It was rather interesting to see him tearing around a muddy field driving a T-34/85 with the driver's hatch open (and getting splashed in mud!) He was having a blast!!

I haven't heard that one before.
Bruce Dickinson is not a strangers to tv shows. Recently he did a series for BBC called "flying heavy metal", about aviation. I haven't seen it personally, but I heard that Bruce sounded like kid in the candy store telling about all kinds of planes and flying them. In addition to singing in Maiden, he has his own rock show on BBC's 6 Music radio channel and flies big airliners. (for a company I can't remember now) Here's a link the rock show:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/bruce_dickinson/

When they played in Iceland this year, you could buy a double ticket for it. It included both the flight and tickets to the show. In addition to the flying, Bruce signed autographs with the rest of the band during the fligh. It must have been hilarious to see Nicko serving drinks!

Btw, I remember story about one Finnish maiden fan who was on a flight and totally unaware of the fact that the captain was Bruce himself. When he announced the usual "this is your captain Bruce Dickinson speaking", the bloke didn't believe it was him, he thought that his friend was pulling a joke on him!
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

at the risk of sounding big headed, i've seen them play every tour since the powerslave album, i'm also the proud owner of two nicko mcbrain drumsticks and a dave murry plectrum. i can't pick a fave album or track by maiden, but i was at the monsters of rock in 88 and when they started the intro to seventh son (the song itself) the sun had just set and there was smoke from fires drifting towards the stage, a magical moment for me and everyone of my mates

That is pretty impressive!! I was just like a kid when I saw them at Red Rocks. I wish my wife could have went to the concert with me. She just does not get it....

Is there any Iron Maiden lady fans out there? Please join us.

Cheers,

JOHN

oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:14 PM UTC
Has anyone listened to the two new lps by Maiden? I haven't had a chance to buy them. The whole having a crap job and supporting a family is playing a factor in that. Oh, well, the job situation I am trying to fix, but the family sistuation, I would not trade for anything.

I would like to know, where abouts are the Maiden fans. I know some locations by the avatars and call signs. But how about cities and age groups as well.

Johnstown, Colorado USA for me. 33 years of age.

Later,

JOHN

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
I think both Brave New World and Dance Of Death are good solid albums. They may not be as brilliant as the 'golden era' stuff, but still very good.
I haven't heard their latest release, Death On The Road (Dortmund's gig from the DOD tour, 2003). People have complained about the removal of speeches between the songs. I'll wait for the 3-disc DVD release next year. That should have the gig in it's whole. (plus the extras of course)

My whereabout and other info:
Helsinki, Finland. 19 years. (I got to live four whole years in the golden era of the 80's! )

trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 02:22 PM UTC
Just a correction; the documentary I mentioned - actually it was Bruce Dickinson who was driving the T-34/85 not Steve Harris.

As for me: Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 30 yrs.

"Girl, the reason we can't be together is you were born in the 80's, I REMEMBER the 80's!!"
oldstl1000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My whereabout and other info:
Helsinki, Finland. 19 years. (I got to live four whole years in the golden era of the 80's! )

I lived through the whole eighties! What a time. I rember Pres. Regan being shot. The first shuttle accident, Fast Times At Regmont High, and 3 Mile Island. I also remember Super Octane (91) being a $1.05 per gallon. Scarry that it is almost 3 times that amount in some places.

JOHN

almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 11:46 PM UTC
nottingham, england, age.......erm,*mumbles* 39!
some more maiden memories
i queued up for tickets to the powerslave tour at my local concert hall from 4.30 am, till 8.00 am in 86, in doing so it was the first time i drove solo after passing my driving test (at first attempt!)
the first maiden record i heard was phantom of the opera on a 12 inch single, being somewhat naieve me and my mates played it at 33 rpm! but it still sounded hard and fast at half the speed
trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hey guys!!!

Check out my post:

Attn: IRON MAIDEN fans: Dickie and the T-34!

in the Armour/AFV forum, I think you guys will REALLY like it!! :-)

Nemanja.