_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Customs Charges
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
Any way around them? Got dinged almost half the cost of the new DML Tiger DAK that I ordered from the US Took them almost 2 weeks to send a letter stating the charges.. So after paying the exchange and this, the kit will cost pretty close to a hundred bucks.. Do I have a choice of shippers if I order from the states and will they mark the package as a gift if I ask?

Dave
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
sorry, this is off topic and wont answer your question but you could answer mine Ive got a package comming from luckymodel, how does all this custom junk go around? do you have to pay custom at the post office or what?

Frank
noublie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 02:58 PM UTC
As far as shippers go, I have to *really* want something to order from a merchant who will only ship UPS. I ordered a Peak C-5 airbrush from BearAir, total order was about $100. $20 for shipping plus $60 for their 'brokerage fees'. So $180 for a $100 order. This is pretty typical of UPS, in my experience. And the pickup depot is only open during normal business hours. Weird - that's normally when I'm working!

USPS/Canada Post: I've only ever had to pay GST + $5
Fedex same.

Re: marking it as a gift, most large retailers won't. Smaller sellers may. Remember, though, you'd be asking them to break the law, so some may not be overly receptive.

You may also want to read up on customs regulations - a lot of the time the customs agents haven't a clue what the merchandise is, so they may charge you duty(as opposed to just GST) on exempt goods.

Cheers.

(edit - Frank - You usually pay at the post office/pickup depot. The delivery notice shoud outline what's due)
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
Dave, that sucks when that happens. Like others have mentioned, the brokerage fees can really make it not worthwhile to order form the US.

First off, there are no customs charges related to duty/import taxes on models anymore. The $5 handling fee & GST & PST should be the only extra charges on your package - provided they don't ship through a 3rd party like UPS

Your best bet is to specifically request USPS (not UPS) as your preferred method of shipping. If they won't ship USPS then look for it within Canada.

Now, if you are buying from say "ebay", one method is to ask the shipper to mark the package "Used Models". I've found the "Used" part has almost always allowed the package to arrive w/o charges, and it is 100% legal.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
Mojo:

Man, that sucks. That is the reason I wont buy or order anything from the states. Too much of a hassle at the border and then custom. The extra money forked out could be used to get some paint, glue or even some Wendy's

Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 813 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
After being burned by customs twice I no longer use a shipper ( UPS, DHL, Fed-Ex), if they, individual or company does not ship via the mail then I don't order. Ship by mail, you'll actually be suprised how fast you get your package even with Canada Post...no kidding.
If you have any Q's just write

Pete

PS sorry to hear you got burned...
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC
Frank,
If you decide to go with a U.S purchase like I did, you will recieve a letter following your package, It will list all the required charges that need to be paid.
Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciated.. If worse comes to worse, my wife is from the states. I can just have the stuff delivered to the mom in laws place and pick it upo from there..

Dave
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 330 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is the reason I wont buy or order anything from the states. Too much of a hassle at the border and then custom.

Well, it's like anything else, you have to know the total costs before committing to buy.

I always compare prices based upon the total cost of the item, plus the shipping costs, plus the conversion plus 15% for PST/GST plus the goddam $5 CCRA charges to charge the taxes. If all of that is still an attractive or acceptable price, then I buy. That said, I usually only get dinged for the taxes about 1 time in 4 for shipments from the US and about 1 in 10 for shipments form elsewhere, so the deal is usually slightly better than the worst case.

Stuff bought off shore can still be a good deal, you just have to factor in all the costs and not compare the sticker prices only.

Oh, yeah, and you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ship by anything other than the postal service as the courier companies have a real tendancy to make up a lot of money in brokerage fees.

Paul
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
Got two packages in the mail today.One from Hong Kong,one from the US.I didn't pay for either.This is hit or miss as to paying or not.So far it seems that if it comes from the US it goes through Windsor and I nomally have to pay.If it's from Asia it comes through Vancouver and I don't get hit.Makes no sence to me.

Jim
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any way around them? Got dinged almost half the cost of the new DML Tiger DAK that I ordered from the US Took them almost 2 weeks to send a letter stating the charges.. So after paying the exchange and this, the kit will cost pretty close to a hundred bucks.. Do I have a choice of shippers if I order from the states and will they mark the package as a gift if I ask?

Dave

HI

YA!!! P M O !! That happened to me too!!

I think if we sent an e-mail to Cyber Hobby they may change their shipper.

I was feeling pretty pleased with my purchases. Even it it did get hit by Cda Customs, that is fine but it really P M O when UPS or FEDEX is the shipper as they charge OBSCENE "brokerage" fees.

I feel yer pain !

Tom

Hi

I placed an order for two DAK TIGERs recently and rec'd the kits no problem. Yesterday I rec'd an invoice from FedEx NAILLING me with a $57.00 fee. While I do not have a problem paying GST and PST if a package gets hit by Cda Customs, I find it obscene to pay a $37.00 brokerage fee.

These fees charged by FedEx have added approx 75% to the cost I paid for the kits.

Every person I have spoken also rec'd this nasty little surprise.

Is there a way to either pick the shipping method or for you to ship via USPS?

I know that henceforth I will likely decline to purchase from you if FEDEX is the sole means of shipping.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

UNQUOTE
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
If you buy from Ebay or a small on-line company (out of the guy's basement or such) you can ask them to mark the customs sticker as "Gift". That usually will get past those cheap b*****ds at Customs.
With Christmas coming up, something that you order may just get through also with the high volume of mail coming through Canada Post.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
Dave, I believe it depends on weather the customs feel like charging or not. i got my delivery from luckymodel stamped with the customs marking and i wasn't charged customs on a 70$usd order(i asked them to lower the invoice, not put a list with hte invoice inside and use a no box logo) paying customs of 314usd isnt hte msot apealing thing in the world...

Id be interested in knowing why you sometimes do and sometimes do not pay customs

Frank
noublie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 47 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Id be interested in knowing why you sometimes do and sometimes do not pay customs

Frank

Seems work like border customs - sometimes you get searched, sometimes you don't. It's like an 'every tenth car' kinda thing. Granted, there are 'red flag' items - try putting 'demolitions supplies' or 'pharmaceuticals' on your declaration form.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
[/quote]try putting 'demolitions supplies' or 'pharmaceuticals' on your declaration form.[/quote]

I think that wouldget you the rubber glove treatment.. :-) :-) :-)
In the future, an email to the company to ensure shipping via USPS or I dont buy...

Dave
 _GOTOTOP