_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Kaki Model Malaysia
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
show us your model display ?!
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
entire network: 986 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
yo kakimodellers....!

how would you guys display your finished models around the house? do you use a RM1000/= custom-built glass display case? or do you just display them on open shelves..? i'm curious to know la.. as my finshed models desperately need a home....

for the moment... all my latest finished models are kept in kit boxes... while most of the older ones, and some half-built/unfinished kits are stored in an my mum's old pinggan-mangkuk display cabinet... see pic below... quite pathetic really.. :-)

i'll take some pics of my finished models in their boxes later...

so.. share with us the pics...! or give some ideas..
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 12:40 PM UTC
I put mine in custom-made display cabinets. Costs RM450 each (reg. price RM700 and above) as I got 'harga kawan' from this furniture maker. The cabinets are however not fully dust-proof and I need to clean 'em once a month or so.

before that i used to display them on open racks and book cabinet
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I put mine in custom-made display cabinets. Costs RM450 each (reg. price RM700 and above) as I got 'harga kawan' from this furniture maker. The cabinets are however not fully dust-proof and I need to clean 'em once a month or so.

...is your kawan anywhere near KL? he he..

anyway.. pls post any pics when you have them? ta.
Argrillion
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 447 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 04:07 PM UTC
I just moved early this year so everything is pretty much in their boxes stashed in the store room. I will need to move again next year to make room for my kid. Boo hoo hoo
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just moved early this year so everything is pretty much in their boxes stashed in the store room...

...too bad... love to see your display of the karl gerat with transporter.. when it's finished, of course... he he...
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
entire network: 1,735 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
Mojimbo if you're at Ikea you can check out some of their glass cabinets. I got mine with a sloping glass top about 1m. height there. There might be some of the all round glass cabinets that might be what you're looking for.

I used to have my dios fitted with a glass top at a frame shop near my house. Fairly cheap.

You have such a wide and nice set of models there it would be a shame not to find them a better and safer home.
HauntedTank
Visit this Community
Georgetown, Malaysia
entire network: 175 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
Yo 'jimbo
I once displayed my models uncovered and the dust is impossible to get off. Solution ? Throw them away and quit the hobby. That was more than 30 years ago first time and about 20 years ago second time I gave up. I just couldn't stay away so this third time round I decided to seriously pick up where I left off and made sure I keep the models for good. Every single model or diorama I build is housed in their own glass display case something like those in your photo. Difference is the joint edges do not have borders. Looks like yours have dark gray tape. A picture frame maker downtown does this for me and prices range from between RM28 ( for a 1/48 a/c or 1/35 tank ) to RM50 ( for a 1/700 a/c carrier ). The case are placed on adjustable shelves. Drilled holes are all you need to set up the brackets which have grooves to determine the desired space between the shelf planks. 4 brackets and 6 4ft planks cost me around RM300. These can accomodate 20 to 23 1/48 fighters in their casings. Saves space. Attractive display. Cleaning is simple, easy and fast. Just take out and wipe or dust the individual casings and put them back on the cleaned shelves.

Regards
Patrick
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...is your kawan anywhere near KL? he he..

anyway.. pls post any pics when you have them? ta.

Unfortunately (for you ) that kawan is closer to Alor Setar than KL! As for the photos, I'll see if I can borrow a camera from my colleague (I'm still 'undigitalised')

Tang is right, you can also get Ikea's glass cabinet...perfect for displaying one's models as it has minimal frames. I'd like to get one (or two) to display my 1/6 small arms and 1/100 models you get when you buy Air Combat Collection.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
ahh.. thanks for the ideas guys... so far i've had 5 of those individual glass cases.... starting to plan ahead to get a proper display cabinet perhaps in a few months' time...

_GOTOTOP