_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Magnifier Question
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi again all.

My eyesight isn't what is used to be so I'm looking at upgrading my little magnifier to either a head magnifier with light or a magnifier with light on a stand. Can I ask for opinions on head vs stand, magnification levels and the brand you use. I'd like the brand as I can't find any decent ones here in Toowoomba and would need to order one.

Cheers
Shane
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
G'day Shane.
I have both the head mounted one and the bench mounted one. The head mounted one wins hands down. I use it for every thing. From painting a head to cleaning up a mold line.
The first one I had was one with a light mounted on the side. But I found that the light distored a few things. It made shodows there you didnt what shadows.

Here is one we have for sale.

Optivisor

Cheers Jason
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
Shane

I have a round magnifier with fluoro bulb on a gooseneck stand, I can't remember the brand but it was about $250 (with the freestanding base) about 6 years ago.

I use it mainly fo rthe light as I have found it to be frustrating to use when painting or cleaning up seams because the handle of the brush/file keep bumping the lens.

I have been thinking about getting an optivisor as Jason has described as I think it would be more useful.

Brian
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
Hi Jason,
have you tried a number of the lens ? (they all have a different magnifcation and focal depth/length for those that don't know)
The one your selling (number 7 lens) has a focal distance of 6 inches - that seems awfully close - have you tried the number 5 with a focal distance of 8 inches?
Which one do you recomend ?
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Tanx for the info Jason. I'll see the response to AndyD's question before looking further but your opinion has been helpful.

I'm in Toowoomba so I may take the opportunity and come down to see the store as well as pick one of these up if it suits me.

Cheers
madboof
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC
G'day Shane

I use both types I find the head mounts great for doing the models, and use the free stand for larger type work . I use the light from free stand only as it uses a daylight bulb (funny enough that is also the brand).

The type of stand I use is floor type on wheeled base and has the lamp and magnifer indipendent of each other so lighting can be adjusted to my needs.
Wayne #:-)
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
Tanx for the responses guys. I've decided to go with the Optivisor mentioned by Jason. The price is right and I can get different magnification lenses. I'm picking the unit up tomorrow from the PO so will post some feedback once I've used it.

Cheers
Shane
Ozmoddler
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi i found that the best thing was to get those magnifying glasses from the chemist. They usually have a display of 1.5 up to 4.0 times magnification,combine this with w few halogen desk lamps in front and a pole mounted spot light from over my left shoulder ...I can see everything in GREAT DETAIL...........lol lol
Gastel
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 59 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC
Shane,
I too use a pair of magnifying glasses I picked up from the chemist. The frame is bright red and the missus calls them my Dame Edna glasses but they do the job. The only downfall is that I can't see [auto-censored] when I take them off for a few minutes. :-) :-)
Let me know what you think of the ones your getting and I might get a set.

BTW we need to get together for that cup of coffee. Message me or email me. I got nothing happenin this weekend.

Regards
Alex H.
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 1,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC
G'day Shane,
Let us know how they go.

Andy, mine are the same Shane has just gotten.

Cheers Jason
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi All.

Well even though I bought the Optivisor before Christmas, I did the right thing and waited to get them on the day.

I think they're good to use. They come with a number 7 magnification but I'll ramp that up to a number 10. (I don't have the box with me to list what that equates to in proper terms).

I find them comfortable to use and, when postioned right, can tilt my head slightly to view my work a la natural.

Thanks to the guys form The Military Workshop for prompt service and for reading out ALL the packaging info (although you missed the pamphlets inside the box). :-)

Happy New Year.

Shane
 _GOTOTOP