_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Weathering
Discuss general weathering topics here.
how good are the Tamiyas weathering kits?
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Gud day

Has anyone brought the Tamiya weathering stick mud or snow before or the tamiya weathering case with snow mud and soot.if you have how good are they?

cheers
matt
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hi
I bought one of the mud weathering sticks and to be honest they are not that bad. I know most people would think-'instand mud, nah cant be any good' but the results look ok. The mud has to be applied quite thin to give realistic results and i found it perfect for jamming in between tank tracks and sprockets, it can also be thinned with a bit of white spirit for a weter effect. Only downside is its one tone of brown and so you'll need to add some pastel colour to make it a little more realistic.

Rob
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
It on my christmas list, at $3~$4 its worth a shot, can anybody recomend some good pastels as mentioned above?
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
I use pastel sticks which are made by Nouvel Carre (rectangular) or Rembrandt (circular, "soft pastel for artist" on label). I scrape some off from the stick with a hobby knife or coarse sandpaper and apply with an old brush. Some people mix the pastel powder in a little thinner as well. Any made will do, as long as it is chalky rather than oily.

Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:40 PM UTC
You learn something new everyday. :-) Thanks, Roderick. Have you moved into your new hom yet?

If I remember correctly, I picked them up from Tokyu Hands (spelling?) in Tokyo because of their compact size. They turned out to be less messy than the round ones as well. Can't find them in HK.
 _GOTOTOP