_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
can you color your resin?
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
I bought a resin casting kit today - is there a way to color the resin? The default color is a cream color - I want to try to make the final product appear green or blue in color. I was thinking food coloring or ink.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 03:33 PM UTC
Check Micro-Mark, they have some resin coloring pigment in the catalog I recieved today. Don't know if it will work with what you have.

SB
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 04:30 PM UTC
You can use pigments, but I rather doubt you'll care for the effect...painting the resin the exact color you want will be better...too hard to get dead consistant color batches and matching of the colored resin to a given armor color. My advice is to paint...
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC
The reason behind this is that I see potential flaws better when it is a color other than cream.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 07:48 AM UTC
why dont you prime your piece and then putty anything that needs puttying and sand everything that needs sanding etc...

Frank
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Yes... I know Alumilite has dyes to add to resin and I believe Smooth-on does as well
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC
I could - I guess it is just a matter of aesthetics. Call me crazy. :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
If you're casting something detailed... you may want to look into Pressure or Vacuum Casting. Pressure casting is cheaper to do.......
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
Alex,
I color my resin all the time. You need water-based pigments for that, which you'll normally find at the same shop where you buy the resin.
Some hints from my own experience with this :
- a tiny drop is enough to get a big color effect.
- adding too much (I'm talking only drops here !) can influence the qualities of your resin. In particular, I discovered that blue and green sometimes make the resin cure more slowly or not at all, or incompletely. Yellow and red colors don't have that effect. Of course, this can be related to the brand of pigments I use. Can't tell you the brand, since the tubes are not labeled.
- I also use the dyes to color my MOLDS. This is very practical when you'tre in a scratchbuilding project and you have dozen of small molds lying around. You'll easily mix them up or have trouble figuring out which mold holds which object. A drop of color helps you identify these molds.
- as far as I experienced, resin coloring is fixed once the resin is cured. The color's don't come off and don't have an impact on your painting afterwards.
- I'd invite you to experiment with black and white pigments. They make attractive greyish resin, looking less obnoxious than reds or blues...
good luck
Jan
 _GOTOTOP