_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
SmoothOn product ?
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
What do I need to get started casting. Would one of the sampler packages be enough to mess up a few times and still have a little left over to cast a few parts. If so which one do I need.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC
Keenan, if you can wait a couple of days there is a full feature about to be posted on casting for the beginner about to be published on the site.

Vinnie
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
The starter kit from Smooth On comes with the instructions and you can get a video also. Their products are the easiest resin product that I have used. I only use this product now.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:36 PM UTC
Teacher,

I AM SO LOOKING FORWARD to that! Been wanting to do this for a long time. Cheaper than buying a bunch of Verlinden I bet.

Will it be on Homepage/New Features???? LMK!

Mike
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..... Cheaper than buying a bunch of Verlinden I bet.....

This is what got me started in the casting arena. When I got back into the hobby, I was building alot of IDF vehicles and wanted to add a ton of extra gear to them. Verlinden had some great stuff, but the price was horrendous for what I was getting. I bought a couple of sets that had all of the parts that I wanted, then invested in my casting supplies. I made all the extras I wanted and all was good. Be warned though, if you cast items like these, don't even think about selling them as that would be illegal. I could just see a lawsuit coming if I tried to sell my castings. That, and I am strongly against re-casters. This is more associated with the figure community though. I used my molds so much I eventually wore them out and had to toss them. I have more that I made, and they are of better quality. I think once you give it a try you'll enjoy it. Also looking forward to this forthcoming article. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP