_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Micro Detailer problem
tomglover
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 99 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
I went to Telford today and was going to buy a Micro Detailer rotary tool from Small Shop EU. The guy there told me that there was a technical fault with it, and he has been trying to sort it out. Has anybody who has the Micro Detailer had any problems with it, as I am in desperate need of a slow speed rotary tool. Are there any alternatives to the Micro Detailer, as I hear that most Dremels are too fast, and will melt the plastic?
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
The Dremel mini-might is a small cordless dremel tool that has a slower speed perfect for plastic. It's low speed is 5000 rpm ands its high is 10,000. I love mine.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 291 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi its "the Small Shop guy"

Anyway....the place to get them is WW2ModelMaker hobby shop (off their web site www. ect)

The "problem" is as I said, not a problem "if" you can resist applying "too" much pressure on the tool.

As a retailer, you need a good level of confidence that a tool will take a little bit of abuse " above its spec" from its new owners, we all are modellers, we all push the limit a bit well I do

With the Micro-Detailer it is just that this "limit range" is not that great.
. So it does make it as much a commercial decision not to stock them.
As it is not good practice to have to keep replacing tools that you know has suffered the same fate, but as a good retailer you "should" replace things. = problem

So.....NOT a problem with the tools as such, but with their ability to be easily abused....which is the reason I stopped selling them. (remember mine ( e.g. any returned, as I never quibble about complains) would have to be sent to the USA at my cost to get replacements so I would have postage etc. . then back to the customer ect

As to the above, a The Micro Detailer IS a very good tool that COULD be fantastic IF they put a small plate behind the shaft to stop (vertical pressure from drilling) the rear bearing from blowing...eg a thrust control plate.
As we at the Small Shop EU have a reputation bar none in relation to the engineering of our own HOLD & FOLD range, we will not "risk" it with ANY product we sell. Reputation of quality is easy to loose and very hard to reclaim.

I urge EVERYBODY to add this small plate to their own tools (as I have), this will give the tool the long life it deserves. I also remind you that as always opening up a tool invaladates

Alasdair
The Small Shop EU
tomglover
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks for the help again Alasdair. I will probably order one from WW2 Model maker, and add that plate. Seems a fairly siimple modification to do. I'll contact you if I've got any problems.
SlapHead
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hi Tom

Yes it is VERY easy. As soon as you open it up you will see the place to fit the plate !!, its even in there ready, daft I know but they dont fit it !!

I could not take the risk.

If you fit it , place a little slelotape on the plate first, when set in place with exopie, remove the tape and you have the "fee-play" for the shaft in normal running but the thust bearing for when you "push "it

Enjoy, mine is a DELIGHT to use and i would NOT be without it , but only with my mod

Cheers

Alasdair
guardiansf
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC
For Dremels it's good to add a seperate speed control. I have one with a rotery switch that allows infinate speed control.
There is also a foot pedel type but that could be bad if you tap your foot to the music. #:-)
tomglover
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 06:01 PM UTC
hi Alasdair , I have sent you a pm, could you please reply to it asap.

thanks
Tom
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For Dremels it's good to add a seperate speed control. I have one with a rotery switch that allows infinate speed control.
There is also a foot pedel type but that could be bad if you tap your foot to the music. #:-)

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) That would put a differant texture on your cast turret,wouldn't it?
My Dremel is a variable speed model and I've gone and splurged for the "snake" attachment/drive for easy handling,it's well worth the money spent.
Also,remember that the materials we use these tools on have pretty low melt points so this has to always figured in.Maybe small parts can be water dipped to cool periodicaly as they are worked and larger pieces spritzed with water mist.
Just .02 flung out there....
cheers!
Rick
SlapHead
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi Tom, Check PM mate

Alasdair

Happy Christmas