Hosted by Matt Leese
Why buy a specialized compressor?
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:21 AM UTC
Just a thought, mostly because I am curious. Why buy an airbrush compressor? They usually run anywhere from $100 to $300 or so, after you have tossed in hoses, moisture traps, regulators. What's wrong with a normal(garage) compressor? You would get dual functionality, parts are easier to come by, and you don't have to set it up inside your workshop. Plus, you get a nice large air tank to provide you with a decent source of air. And all that for same or even, in some cases, less than what you would shell out for a specialized compressor. Just curious.

Jed Sargent
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
Sarge,
I agree. I have a Sears Craftsman 1 1/2 HP standard compressor that I have used for about 15 years as a hobby compressor with an air pig. It has worked great for me. I can also use it to fill tires and run some small (low pressure ) air tools. You are right on the parts too. I had to do an overhaul on it a while ago and was able to get new o-rings and fittings from the local hardware store. Original cost of the compressor was about $100. I gaive a full description of my system's set-up here:
Compressor set-up
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
The only "specialized" compressor I've seen is the one MicroMark sells for about $180 US. I haven't used one, but a club member had one at his airbrush demo.The thing is SILENT. If you live in an apartment, or have little ones, heck, if you even live with another human being in the house, this could be a life, if not relationship, saver. After a long airbrush session with my Sears thumper, she's ready to direct me to another hobby. Of course, my ears are so desensitized to sound,I can't hear her. LOL. At the demo, the guy doing it said he was able to use his compressor after his year old child went to bed and she was able to sleep through his session.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:47 AM UTC
Good Choice I have the AirMaster-Plus which is similar and the cost is only a little over 100 dollars but well worth the value. And does the same thing for low noise. I use it in my hobby room which is next to the kitchen and the Living room But does not disturb anyone when I use it. So you might try that one as well. It is self contained and needs no Accessories.

DAGGER-1 Peace Thru Superior Fire Power !!
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:55 AM UTC
When I started back up modeling last year in Korea, friend of mine had given me some advice to go and purchase an airbrush compressor. I guess what I would call a "specialized" compressor, like not off the shelf, small, quiet. I am tracking on the reasons for having them, such as an apartment, lack of space, quiet, and all the other goodies. And, for some reason, it had seemed to me that a lot of people, in their descriptions of their setups had purchased a small silent compressor, as part of the setup they used. I am not a miser, but looking at the price of the compressor vs. a larger one definitely left me scratching my head.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
You are absolutely correct, there is no need to buy a specialy designed compressor. As standard one is fine as long as youcan control airflow down to 15-30psi. If you get one with a tank just remember to drain the tank after daily or after your finished for the day. The moister in the tank will eventualy create rust inside the tank. otherwise I reccomend aan of the shelf model.
Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon (:-)
 _GOTOTOP