_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
let loose!
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:06 PM UTC
Hey everyone!

Just a question...what do you do to get over the peice that just wont do what its supposed to do?..every kit has one peice that dosent look right, wont fit in properly, keeps sticking to you when you want to paint it ect. you know the peice!...the most irritating of the lot!

Usually I get really really annoyed and go turn my music really loud and beat up my punching bag!!!...allyways good to let loose

thanks

Cris
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 11:30 PM UTC
Some of the things I do:

1. Let slip some really, really bad 4 letter words, get up, go out, take a few deep breaths, watch some TV and come back.
2. Take a No 11 knife, and punch holes in a styrofoam sheet at random, all the time cursing. This really helps!
3. Take a small ball-sized bit of Blu-Tak, and vent my frustration by squeezing it into all unimaginable shapes.
4. Go downstairs, and have some baby talk with my 1.5 yr old daughter!
5. Last, but not the least, switch off lights in my modelling space, go to another room, pick up a good Frederick Forsyth or detective novel, and start reading. I don't go back to the model until the next day.

My two cents..
BP.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Some of the things I do:

1. Let slip some really, really bad 4 letter words, get up, go out, take a few deep breaths, watch some TV and come back.
2. Take a No 11 knife, and punch holes in a styrofoam sheet at random, all the time cursing. This really helps!
3. Take a small ball-sized bit of Blu-Tak, and vent my frustration by squeezing it into all unimaginable shapes.
4. Go downstairs, and have some baby talk with my 1.5 yr old daughter!
5. Last, but not the least, switch off lights in my modelling space, go to another room, pick up a good Frederick Forsyth or detective novel, and start reading. I don't go back to the model until the next day.

LOL... :-)

I usually go out and play some sports... and do very bad things to my opponents..

Mario M.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:19 AM UTC
If something won`t work out the way I wanted it to
then I quit for an hour or two get behind my computer
grab a terrible violent game like mafia, MOHAA, Wolfenstein
put the volume at 100
than start shooting around some people. after I get a good bodycount I go back to my workbench and go relaxed further

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:23 AM UTC
I put it aside, and get out of the house. It is good to get out of the house and forget about it for a while. If I am really annoyed with it, sometimes I'll just scratchbuild a new one out of spite. Usually I am just spiting myself, but it makes me feel better to know I can make a new one.

Rob
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC
For the part will be left off as battle damage #:-) #:-)
Branden
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
If a part doesn't fit the way I want it to, I will:
A) fling the part across the room
B) smash the part with my fist
C) stab the part with an Xacto
or
D) toss the part, and related model, back into it's box and foget about it for a few months.

:-) (:-)

YodaMan
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
1. Put down my tools
2. Take a deep breath.
3. Remind myself that I do this for pleasure and relaxation, and being mad or upset is not included in these things.
4. Review what I am doing, what I really want to do, and why the two will not meet.
5. Resume.
6. For really intractible parts, I will put it into the box and work on a different part for a while.

Not as exciting as some other ideas, but I suppose I am an old man. (Someone referred to himself in another thread as an "old fogey" at 34, so I must be practically an antique at almost 40!). Actually, though, nos. 2 and 3 are the really critical steps.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:24 AM UTC
[quote]1. Put down my tools
2. Take a deep breath.
3. Remind myself that I do this for pleasure and relaxation, and being mad or upset is not included in these things.
4. Review what I am doing, what I really want to do, and why the two will not meet.
5. Resume.
6. For really intractible parts, I will put it into the box and work on a different part for a while.

Not as exciting as some other ideas, but I suppose I am an old man. (Someone referred to himself in another thread as an "old fogey" at 34, so I must be practically an antique at almost 40!). Actually, though, nos. 2 and 3 are the really critical steps.
ARENGA:
Thanks, That's pretty much what I do as well.......After a Little scratching my head and wondering what in the H---??

DAGGER-1
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
I reach for the Bacardi.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC
The things I do when I have problems with a part of a kit are:

1. leave it alone and thing of other ways that I could do to MAKE it work.
2. leave it and go break a few glasses while I wash dishes.... lol
or
3. put the kit up until I feel like I can work on it without blowing a gasket..... :-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:07 PM UTC
Usually if I am having trouble with a part it is because it is glued to my finger. You will never know how many times I have had to come up out of the modeling bunker and ask my wife to carve some small, critical, part of of my finger...

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:14 PM UTC
Go start another kit - you'll find more pieces that'll cooperate...

Gunnie #:-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go start another kit - you'll find more pieces that'll cooperate...

Gunnie #:-)

Ooh... that might be a bad idea for me. Before long, I'll have started a dozen kits! #:-)

Well, I do need to start on my Fine Molds TIE sooner or later...

YodaMan
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
Generally, when I have a part that doesn't fit, I throw a tantrum, curse, swear, send my blood pressure through the roof, and finally, look at the instructions again, and say, "Doh!" Then I glue the part into its correct location where it usually fits. If this is not the case, then I turn the part right side up, and it fits!

If the part actually doesn't fit, and I am putting it in the right place, right side up, etc... I usually dig right in, and work at it until it is fixed. If I set it aside for very long, there is a risk of the project going unfinished for a long time. I already have too many projects in "Purgatory" right now, including a 500 hour scratchbuild that's about 90% done, and will probably never see the light of day! (Due to a few parts not working out like I wanted them to.)

Dave
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 03:31 PM UTC
Part won't fit? Get a bigger hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 06:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually if I am having trouble with a part it is because it is glued to my finger. You will never know how many times I have had to come up out of the modeling bunker and ask my wife to carve some small, critical, part of of my finger...

man o man I'm glad I'm not the only one with that problem. I just ride away and leave it overnight. If in the morning I still can't get it to work then I start a new kit while I think about it.

Cliff (I'm still a driver) :-)
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 07:44 PM UTC
Hi, My name is Chuck, and I have a problem,
I read somewhere that you gain a completely different perspective on a model and for that matter, a model part / fit by studying it in a mirror.
Personaly, I reach for a cigarette , a beer and some reference material, because this thing just HAS TO FIT!!!
Oh Well...
Chuck
ps. most of the time I'll scratchbuild another one
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 01:04 PM UTC
If the part is a problem,I set it down,get up from my chair and down on my knees.....start searching the floor for the other problem piece that ran away from my explitives.These situations require great care.If my wife walks in,she swears I'm negotiatung with a criminal who has hostages."Come on out,you son of a @!#$*!"...."I promise I won't hurt you."...."Why do you want to do this?"......"Are you sure this is the way you want it?".......I beg,I plead,I rationalize,and then and only then,I except the inevitable.Time to lose another part so when I look for that one,I'll find this one!
MODELKASTEN COLORED CARPET
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
Jackhammer,

You need a dank, dark, musty basement. My wife never sets foot down there. I can crawl around on my hands and knees for hour with a flashlight looking for that part I dropped and never hear any @#$%. I have cable down there and a freezer to put the brews in. I could live down there. Come to think of it, I do... LOL
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Part won't fit?

I usually study the instructions again as 9 out of 10 times I find when somethings not fitting right it is because I have the wrong part or holding the right part the wrong way.
If I find a part that genuinally wont fit, I wont sleep until it does fit.
With the aid of files, saws, knives scissors, glue, putty, force, etc. everything fits ........... eventually!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:27 PM UTC
Feed to my dog.
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:28 PM UTC
cuss a lot and go on to somwthing else and keep looking at the peice every fiiive seconds and then come back to it later. then put it down for a while and come back to it later. then put it down and come back to it later. hopfully by the forth time it will fit
 _GOTOTOP