_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
how many hours per project, time savers
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:36 PM UTC
I must say I was a little relieved to hear that most people average over 50 hours per project. I thought something was wrong with me. I read all the model reviews in FSM that say "I spent just over 12 hours on the model" and wondered why it takes me 4-5 times as long. I am still in my first year of modeling since my long time away from it so I expected to be a little slow, but not that slow. I also don't build OOB either, or have not yet anyway. In my 2 major projects I have spent over 50 hours on each (a sherman and a bulldog) and that doesn't include tons of research. Now that I know that most people take a long time I feel much better. I have picked up some great tips here about saving some time, like using nail polish remover on putty instead of sanding. I have only tried that one once but it looks like it is going to save me a tone of time on my next kit.

So what takes the most time for you during a project (other than research)? For me so far it has been cleaning up the parts (flash, filling injector marks, etc.) and filling and sanding seems. Also, what are your favorite time saving tricks?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:00 PM UTC
I have never measured a build by time... never will either. I have never built anything OOB, altho the intent sometimes did start out so.

I always got a kick out of the FSM etc articles where the builder spends X amount of hours building something.

If I did measure by time, I would do it by months.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 03:40 PM UTC
I think its just a fashion of writing left over from the days when most subjects were OOB. Today with alll the after market stuff its almost impossible to time.Running gear takes most of my time. from assembling the track links to painting. alot of it is just mind numbing repatition but it does take time. second is interiors trying to fit components in and trying to make it all look reasonably realistic.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:03 PM UTC
I wish i would spend longer on models next time thogh i am planning on spending an unbeleivable amount of time on it.
Branden
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:09 PM UTC
My most time consuming project is begging my wife for se... Oh, wait, do you mean a MODELLING project? :-) Well, I would agree with Josh, that running gear are the most work, especially if you are doing indi-link tracks. Model Kasten, gotta love em. I have spent aboot seven or eight hours on a Hellcat so far, not counting the tracks. Counting the tracks I have spent sixteen to eighteen hours on the Hellcat. And I haven't even painted the tracks yet.

Rob
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
entire network: 270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:15 PM UTC
I've never measured the time... All I know is that I'm not a speed-builder.... :-)
My last project was built OOB, and I guess I've used 7-8 hours (except from the tracks)
Then comes tracks, painting, weathering... A few more hours I guess. :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:14 PM UTC
For an OOTB , I will say about 20 to 30 hours, for something with all the AM, I will say at least 30 days , that will be about 120 hours.

Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 142 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:29 PM UTC
yeah I dont measure how much time i spend on each project...but I like taking my time...

My favourite time saving thing?...probably tooth picks or paint thinner...I know they are strange but tooth picks are good cos you can use them to paint small things than havinbg to go ver and over the samething with a paint brush. and thinner???...well I use alot of paint techniques with thinnner witch would be hard with out....their both snazzy stuff...

Cris
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:52 PM UTC
I find it impossible to say how long each project takes. Eventhough I am one of the lucky ones who has a modelling room I never modell there. I prefer to model at the coffee table where I can watch the telly as well. So depending on what Im watching, it can slow down the rate of my building. So if i spend 50 hours on something, I have watched 48 hours telly, with 2 hours in the modelling room for spraying!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
It's pretty hard to put an actual hour count on a project. I always have multiple projects going. When paint is drying on one I sand another or whatever.
I would say I put a kit on display at a rate of about 1 every 3-4 months (give or take).

I am fairly slow and take a very tortose approach. As my wood working father taught me - measure twice, cut once. And It's always easier to take materials off rather than reattach them. Ie - sand it down slowly or make two passes with the dremel rather than one big one.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:01 AM UTC
Well lets see, I started my Leopard 2 A5 OOB on the 15th this month and should finish it by sometime tommorow. Not to mention that this will be the third kit that I will have done within the last month and a half. ( Seems like they just keep getting eaiser with each one) And I really expected this one to be a little more complicated.. BUT it has not been. My rate usually is like one perhaps two models a month. Sometimes less. BUT I've been on a real
good roll lately. So it has not been taking all that much time to get thru my projects. If it's not too difficult usually I would say about 20 hours per project, Spending two to three hours, And sometimes even 5 hours per session. But then at times I have been known to spend 30 hours on some kits. I dont really time myself either. So I can only estimate how much time I am spending per kit.. I just know that I get in my room and get lost in my work and the music playing softly in the back ground. Which helps the time to fly by.

DAGGER-1 Peace Thru Superior Firepower !!
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
I average per model anywhere from 6 to 8 months #:-) But as you have read in the past my Panzer IV J will take me more or less 1 1/2 years
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
Most reviews with time stated are taskings - i.e., they have a time limit to finish the job. My biggest time saver is getting time set aside to actually model Setting up, operating and cleaning my airbrush is my biggest boogy man
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hey Ranger74,
That maybe true for you, but my time will be actual modeling time.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:42 AM UTC
I don't really keep track of the time to finish a kit either. I just take my time and to enjoy the kit while I'm building it
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:26 PM UTC
I have built a model in 5 hours withabout 2 to finishing.This was a T amiya Steyr Command Car.I would never try it on any othere model again.I really don't measure the build in time but in enjoyment.Range goes from obsessed to forgotten.If the model really grabs me,I can't get my mind off it,and every detail is enjoyment.If the build is a snarling,bit in the a$$,I tend to lose interest,and move on to come back months later.Anything I push too hard and fast,generally doesn't satisfy me and I feel as though it's just not finished.The longest I ever spent on a model?Still getting the references for that.....please hold.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hey, this is exactly why I keep telling my wife this is a cheap hobby. I spend 30 dollars on a kit and it takes me a year to finish it. If only I could quit buying kits to have on deck. The way she has it figured I will well outlive my kit supply. I'm not in this for the money. It's a hobby. If I felt like I had to get something done on time someone had better be paying me.

(That's what I tell the people that work for me at the foundry. I always tell them them that workings not fun or it would be a hobby and they wouldn't have to pay us)

Just my ought 2...

_GOTOTOP