_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Doll, Dolls Dolls!!!!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:18 PM UTC
Man, I wish I collected the 1/6th scale dolls rather than building large scale figure. Those guys (and gals no doubt) have everything they could ask for. USAF PJs to US Civil War figures.
I was just looking for some reference material on the web for SAS uniforms in the Gulf War and just about everyother site was for a doll. And I hate to say it, but one of my reference phots I'll use is of Doll clothing!!!!! (actually an SAS assault vest).
Seriously, anyone have good shots of SAS load bearing equipment (especailly ammo pouches and bergens) used by the SAS in the Gulf?

Thanks, Doll

Nate
Wisc. USA
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:28 PM UTC
A friend of mine collects those dolls, but when I called them dolls he gave me a pretty good shove. The times they are a changing dolls are "multi-posable scale modeled action oriented figures".

Jeff
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...dolls are "multi-posable scale modeled action oriented figures".

Of course. What else would they be?

The other day I was telling a co-worker that I'm collecting some Star Wars figures. and she said "You mean you collect toys?"
My response was, "Please. They are called action figures, not toys. There is a difference!"

Some people don't understand...

YodaMan
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
Delta Force Barbie anyone? #:-)
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:11 PM UTC
BDFM - Barbie Dolls For Men!!! I collect them and ther is nothing wrong with that.

PorkChop,
I have a friend that has a real Scorpion and Ferret Mk II/III. He also has all the gear and uniforms to go along with them. He gets dressed up for pareades and othe shows. If I see him this weekend, I will ask if he has pictures or if I can refer you to him.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC
Pete,
That'd be great. Really just looking for the right shade of OD, I presume. I just remebered I have another reference at home that may have that in there too.... Well, any help would be great.
I wasn't really picking on you collectors, it's just obvious there are a lot more manufacturers who are catering to that market (ie DML). They must be selling well.... (oh yea, I have twoof the first run DMLs, but my wife hid them in a box and called them POWs)

Nate
Wisc. USA
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
POW's, TOO FUNNY!!!!!
I found a couple of pictures of my friends dreesed up. I will send them to you via e-mail.
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other day I was telling a co-worker that I'm collecting some Star Wars figures. ....."

YodaMan

I had an old Darth Vader Figure from the original run (1977 or whatever)I got from my older cousin when he was sick of them in the early 80's. Unfortunately my little brother shot that poor bastard to hell and beyond with a Pellet gun. We both leaned lessons, like he could shoot a little man at 20 metres and I could dissassemble his bike while he was asleep.

Jeff
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
hey PorkChop,
i have 31 12" German action figures and accessories. i do plan on getting more, like the new Ansgar figure. i put what i want on them, good painting reference

Chris Pig no.1
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 12:39 PM UTC
I've been picking up some of the weapons, very good detail. I also want to do some dio's of fighting positions with out any troops just equipment.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 12:42 PM UTC
Pak 40 has found a very nice way of combining the DML equipment for use as bases for his 1/16th scale figures. Looks real nice....

Nate
Wisc. USA
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2002 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure how old any of you are but I remember 12" action figures as GI Joe's and I kick myself for ever loosing interest in the things. I had the Jeep with the recoiless rifle. And Just like Nissan's 300ZX commercial, GI Joe beat-out Ken for Barbie's favours every time. Todays weapons and equipment are THE BOMB!

Chuck

GOOD GOD I"M OLD
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BDFM - Barbie Dolls For Men!!! I collect them and ther is nothing wrong with that.

PorkChop,
I have a friend that has a real Scorpion and Ferret Mk II/III. He also has all the gear and uniforms to go along with them. He gets dressed up for pareades and othe shows. If I see him this weekend, I will ask if he has pictures or if I can refer you to him.

PETE It's alright as long as they don't get mixed up and start dressing like Barbie! Yuck, Yuck Lol

Jack
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
I guess this would be a good spot for a commercial break..........Dream Catcher does 1/18th scale maps and poster sets for these dolls,..Errr...Action figures, covering WW2, Vietnam and all the other periods, for which we also cover the standard 1:35th scale. Just thought you'd like to know.

Jack
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
Barbie and Ken in Camo!!!!,eeeeeeeeeeek!!!!! White Coats!!!! White Coats!!!!! Neee..Nawwwblue lights flashing....
Arthur
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
Stop using barbie as a reference.
We'll all be in touble when the "Rights of GI Joe" club discovers we send good old Joe to the unemployment because we practice positive discrimination of the female species.
Barb doesn't belong in uniform, just like GI Joe doesn't have to wear lace suspenders and silk stockings.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
Maybe the manufacturers should do a heads up on this one...The Barbie Jeep, Barbie on Patrol, Barbie in the Desert, Barbie the action reporter in the Gaza Strip??..Hmmm. Commercial prospects in perspective? Is that I frown I detect on Joe's face, and what is Ken doing with those enlistment papers in his grubby plastic palm I wonder?
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe the manufacturers should do a heads up on this one...The Barbie Jeep, Barbie on Patrol, Barbie in the Desert, Barbie the action reporter in the Gaza Strip??..Hmmm. Commercial prospects in perspective? Is that I frown I detect on Joe's face, and what is Ken doing with those enlistment papers in his grubby plastic palm I wonder?

Barbie..in the Gaza Strip,oooh!
Arthur
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
i could have my SS action figures put Ken in a camp and pillage Barbie, comparably GI Joe is a wimp! Joe never had equipment look as good as Dragon, 21st Century or BBI's. i like the Panzerfaust 60's and the Panzerschreck 54's, i also have the heavy mount for the MG-42. all my guys have either StG-44's, G-43's or FG-42's; except for the Afrika Korps figure and a Fallschirm sniper w/ Kar98k. this is a fun hobby in that of itself and as i said in my previous post, they make great figure painting reference.

Chris :-) #:-) Pig no.1 and friends
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
and to top it off, the value on some of the Dragon figures is even exceeding the values of the GI Joe's from the '60's. besides, i like having a miniature army around. helps when i get sadistic tendency, you know like, marching through Poland or France again

Chris Pig no.1
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 357 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
How dare we call them DOLLS!!! How dare we!! Yet ,some collectors,will refer to modelling as "just a hobby".In all seriousness,I cannot collect these.I would love to but with 4 kids,3 of which are boys,they would last 5 minutes without my eyes constantly on them.The Dragon Figures are amazing and very detailed(wish I had them as a kid).If you own them,give them a caring look over for me.
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
hi jack,
yeah, it is nice having the action figures. the SS bad boys and the famous German officers(Rommel and Meyer). the individual weapons are so cool.

Chris Pig no.1
 _GOTOTOP