_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
paper towels in a box
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Just thought I would pass on something I saw and picked up at Rite-Aide today. Braun has come out with paper towels in a nice square box. It is really handy. There are 40 sheets per box and I find it much easier to work with than a roll, especaily when your in the middle of something. The box also takes up much less room on a workbench than a roll and stores easier in a smaller area. Best of all when you knock it off the table it doesn't unroll itself across the floor. They are on sale for $0.99 right now. I am going to stock up on a few now that I have tried it and like it.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 06:53 AM UTC
An alternative one-hand solution is one of those tissue rolls that don't roll off from the outside, but from the middle. They are all over Europe in gas stations to clean your hands. I'm sure you know it, too. It comes in a plastic container you can stick to the wall or your workbench and rip out a piece of tissue. Lasts for months...

Jan
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
Don't let airbrushers find out about this. Stores won't be able to keep them in stock! Nothing's tougher than trying to tear a sheet off a roll with one hand while holding a full airbrush upright in the other. (And quickly -- the paint's drying!)

-Neil
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:00 PM UTC
Too true, Neil,
What I ended up using were cloth napkins. I found some at one of our local salvage stores at 10 for a dollar. Use one until it gets too nasty and then throw it in the was with my wifes cleaning rags. I got tired of wrestleing(sp?) with paper towels. (and loosing)
Although I might have to check Rite Aide for Drew's idea.
NeilUnreal
Visit this Community
entire network: 80 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
Great idea pipesmoker! We have a local salvage store that has a "restaurant aisle." I never thought to look for cloth napkins. If they have a good supply of restaurant-style paper napkins, it might be worthwhile to invest in one of those steel tabletop napkin dispensers.

My favorties are the "medical aisle" for rubber gloves, forceps, etc. and the scrap metal/ hardware section. One time I did get some small cloth wipes about 3" square that are apparently used for something in the electronics fabrication. They've never gotten any more back in stock.

-Neil

p.s. It's like my niece -- who is the last stop for family hand-me-downs -- says: "To you it's just junk, but to me it's stuff!"
 _GOTOTOP