_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Mr surfacer question!
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 05:03 PM UTC
Well ive heard of people using this product but im not sure what its for and which one to get! 500 or 1000? then theres mr base white and mr resin primer! what are they all for my parents are letting me order after i begged them from luckymodels and its the only place i could get realy.

Thanks,
Frank
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 987 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 05:23 PM UTC
Francois,

What do you want to use them for exactly? By that I mean, you do realize the difference between these Gunze products? I have used Mr. surfacer spray 1000, and Mr. Resin Primer, both were gray in color. For me, the difference was that Mr. Surfacer 1000 dried and left a subtle grainy, almost chalky like texture to the model (I do not mean to imply that it rubbed off) - just like Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer (White) whereas Mr. Resin Primer dried with a smooth, satin finish. As for Mr. Base White, I suspect that it will be identical to the Mr. Resin Primer.

Mr. Surfacer 500 is a totally different beast - and I recommend it in a jar form. I do not recommend it being used as a primer as it will dry with a very noticeable grainy texture. Here is a pic of what Mr. Surfacer 500 looks like just after 2 applications.

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Thanks guys, il give it a try

Francois
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 04:22 PM UTC
Rodders, 500 and 1000 is only the jar size? :-) wouldnt it be easier for you folks to use a unit measurment? i think il grab a plane ticket, a week or two's paycheck, and coem voer to give a seminar about using apropriate measurments, and drop by at your lhs to grab some cheap kits

Frank
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:05 PM UTC
Francois
Just for your information, Northstar hobbies sells it as well.. they are based out of Toronto..
In case you would like to order in Canada http://northstarhobbies.com

Dave
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
I could be wrong but I think the numbers represents the grain size. That is higher the number, finer the grain size. This is similar to the system in sandpaper.

I have Mr. Surfacer 500 and 1000 in 100ml spray can. I also have a 40 ml jar of Mr. Surfacer 500. Couple of days ago, I bought a Mr. Base White 1000 only because there is a new LHS opened near work. It comes in a 180ml spray can. That is why I think the number has nothing to do with the container size.

When it comes to usage, I stipple the 500 from the jar with a brush onto tank surface to make cast metal texture. The spray-on surfacer is used as a primer. The beauty of Mr. Surfacer is its ability to hide sratches and to fill small gaps yet provide a uniform surface for you to check your surface preparation. When dry, it can be sanded down like putty.

Mr. Base White? I heard it has a smooth finish and I am thinking about to use it as a primer for figures. This will be part of my adventure into painting flesh tone with oils.

Would like to hear from other member's experience.
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 10:30 PM UTC
Roderick, you are staying up late. Busy modelling?

I would like to believe you but I am really confused now. Both cans of regular surfacer I have are in the same size of can, both say a coverage of 0.6mē (2 layers). One of them is 500 while the other is 1000.

That White Base is more expensive as well. I suppose it is the same in Japan.
 _GOTOTOP