_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: KitMaker USA
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Central Florida Hobby Stores
Cbl12886
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 60 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 07:14 AM UTC
I am having a hard time finding a hobby store that carries modeling stuff here in Central Florida. There are a few but most of them just carry RC stuff. If someone knows of one in reasonable driving distance of Lake Mary let me know.
chevalier
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Depending on what you consider reasonable driving distance I can reccomend 4.
Colonial Photo just off of SR 50 (or Colonial drive) in Orlando. The store is split into 2 sides, photo and hobby. The hobby side has a fair selection of kits but their jewel is in the diorama supplies and paints. THey have a nice selection of Tamiya, MM, Humbrol, Gunze Sangyo and they definately can fufill most if not all of your diorama needs. (they have alot of train stuff.)

If you want to make the trip there are two on the east coast that I highly reccomend. Spare Time hobbies in Cocoa has a very large selection of kits. Armor, A/C, Auto and more. Some hard to find and definately some new releases. The other half is all R/C from beginer to high end. MM and Tamiya paints. Tools, acessories. Ask for Ray, who is definately a styrene junky (his specialty is a/c and ships but knows his stuff) and is also a delaer for CAM decals. Nice guy very helpful.

Melbourne has a jewel of a shop called North Side Hobbies. This is a jewel because the guy is an encyclopedia of styrene and 90% of his shop is kits. I think he has a little bit of R/C just as a token but knows his stuff with that too. Floor to ceiling kits of every genre. New stuff, old standbys and some rare and hard to find kits. He buys collections and always has something worth looking at. Paul is very knowledgable when it comes to kit pedigrees and is very helpful. Carries a cabinet of older, and extra decal sheets that he sells reasonably. Not good on the paint but has some MM.

Palm Bay has Space Coast hobbies which is a home base for IPMS guys in the area and has a nice all around selection of stuff catering to several hobby genres. THe kit selection is fair and runs hot and cold depending on your interests. Heavy selection of magazines and only a few helpful books. Excellent selection of MM and Tamiya paints, casting supplies, and tools. Compared to the other stores, his main value for me is the supplies and acessories.

So make a day of it, hit all 4 and feed your fix. No doubt that between them you'll keep the monkey on your back quiet for a while.
 _GOTOTOP