Snow weathering
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 04:50 PM UTC
Hey

Ive painted my 1/35 tiger and i would like to know how to weather it.Its in Russia diorama.

cheers
matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
The first step to consider is time frame. If you are doing one of the very early tigers, you want to base coat it panzer grey. A mid to late Tiger would have the panzer yellow base. The next step is to go subtle layers of white. They white washed the tanks and snow was on them, and in certain areas like around hatches and the rear deck especially the snow would get melted thus streaking the whitewash paint. Do some research in some books looking for color paintings. The Panzer Colors or In action series from squadron can give you some good ideas on what you may want to do with it.
USMarine
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:44 AM UTC
Ive painted my model a white colour already is there stil any way to weather it.

cheers
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 08:53 AM UTC
Using a dark wash and dry brushing. Take your base color (grey or panzer yellow) and use dry brushing techniques to work it. Use a brownish / black wash to show wear. You also will probably want to depict some mudding especially on the lower sections of the tank.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 08:00 PM UTC
You could also try the frustrating 'chipping' technique which involves adding the grey or yellow as Steve pointed out, in small areas one dot at a time (around areas that wear will be) So essentially you are doing the layers in 'reverse' , but carefully so as to not look like the base colour OVER the whitewash, but the other way around... I'm sure others that have tried this technique could point you towards an example.
HTH
Brad
USMarine
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 08:18 PM UTC
im allso goin to get a weathering kit from Tamiya.its like a make up kit thing for girls but for models.i think it comes in a tin container and it comes with three colours snow,mud,soot and a two way brush brush on one end and sponge on the other end there is also another weathering kit that comes with sand,lightsand,mud.they have also bought out a sought of pencil that holds 5ml of snow or mud colours.
 _GOTOTOP