_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Operation Market Garden
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:31 AM UTC
Once again hi

Well I just completed my first diorama and thought it came out quite well for a first try. I'll be able to put up some pictures in 2-3 weeks with a small article of what and how the diorama was made. But till then I'm starting on my next creation...as you might have guessed from the title it has to deal with Operation Market Garden.

I've been doing research on the net for the last 3 hours, but I still have a couple questions that I hope you could answer.

1. Did the One Can para regiment land with the British to take Arhnem ?
2. Did Canadian paras use the same clothing equipment as their British allies, and was the camo pattern exactly the same ? (I plan on using Brit figures as Canadian)

3. The US troops that were in the Operation...did they use the tannish coluor early style fatiques or the later, olive drab colour M43 fatigues ?

4 Lastly: The only Brit para figures I've been able to find are the set by Dragon and the ones that are made by Verlinden and Warriors. Does anyone else make Brit paratroopers ?

In advance thanks to all, the great people here and at the other forum (Digi Dios) have been great and really helpful in getting me back and started in this hobby.

Thanks
Leader
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hi,

I know Osprey have a book on this topic. It may be worth investing in if you want detailed info. Sorry I can't help any further.

As for British figures - that's a big bug bear of mine. Not many cheap ones on the market I'm afraid. As I've said before email DML and Tamiya and keep asking. Also Fine Scale Modeller is doing a survey of wanted items. I suggest you go their website and fill in the survey requesting British or Canadian figures.

Oh, and good luck with your project.

Cheers
Digger
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Apart from the figures you mentioned, the only other ones I know of is a set of six figures in plastic. They were originaly made by ESCI, then Heller. I currently have the same set made by a Polish company, SK Model. There are also 3 figures in white metal in the Hornet range.

You may find this site helpfull, if you've not already found it.

http://www.extraplan.demon.co.uk/main.htm
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC
To see what uniforms and eqipment the US troopers wore, rent the band of brothers tapes or DVDs. Episode 3 deals with the 82nds (I think) drop into holland. It was very well researched.

Rob
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:21 PM UTC
Good Site about the 1st Canadian Parachute BN.

http://www.1stcanpara.org/

Ray
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:28 PM UTC
I think the Canadians were going to go in, but when it became clear the operation was a failure, they were not sent.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP